496 HO and drive hiccup ?????? >

496 HO and drive hiccup ??????

Notices

496 HO and drive hiccup ??????

Old 07-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO and drive hiccup ??????

put the boat away last weekend after running great, had about 15 hours on brand new drive so I decided to change the drive oil, had just ordered 8 quarts of amsoil full synthetic marine gear lube so I gave it a shot. stop at the gas station and put in 30 gallons, about 75 total, drop the boat in the water start her up and she is surging a bit from about 700 rpm to about 800, does this a few times and goes away, run the boat around for a bit and she seems o.k. took about a 20 minute trip to hang out, start her up after sitting for a couple of minutes and put her in gear and she stalls,, luckily the shifter went back to neutral and she starts right back up, head 20 minutes back home and she runs fine, no other engine related hiccups.

After switching to amsoil, the drive seems to shift easier, and pull on the shifter is lighter, comming down off plane to put the boat back on the trailer I shift into neutral and seemingly ( accidentially ) bumped reverse, motor died right out and the shifter is stuck in reverse. I wiggle around the shifter to get it back into neutral and she fires right up, after kicking myself in the A$$ for being stupid, I shifted in and out of neutral, forward and reverse, got up and plane and everything seems to be O.K.

First question is the surging and konking out,,, does it seem something is on it's way out, have read posts about crank sensors and such going bad, anything I should look out for ??

Second question is, the drive seems to be fine after locking up and killing the motor, should I have it looked at for precautionary measure or if its acting o.k. leave it alone.. Thanks Chris...

P.S. boats an 05, motor's an 04 with 125 hours, drive is new with about 15 hours.

Last edited by Chris288; 07-10-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:50 AM
Registered

Default Re: 496 HO and drive hiccup ??????

ok first off if it is a new drive the amsoil will void any warrenty............

I would check your water separator first and see if maybe you got some bad gas or if the fuel was has ethenol in it it could be varnish from the tank either way start by pulling water sep and dump it out in something and see what you have ......lets start there
Old 07-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Registered

Default Re: 496 HO and drive hiccup ??????

Thanks for the reply Joe,,, Here in NY we do have 10% ethanol, I will go ahead and change out the seperator..

About the drive,, I am concerned I may have done some damage more so than warranty, by the forward to reverse blunder, but she is shifting and acting just fine. Secondly, why would amsoil void the warranty ?? from everything that I have ever read about using non Merc. or any other manufacturers such as ford oil filters and what not, they would have to prove the oil was the problem.

P.S. I used the amsoil after reading that mercs. stuff wasn't full synthetic and bob teague's article saying how much he trusted amsoil O.D. oil, just trying to put the best money can buy in my baby... Thanks again chris..

Last edited by Chris288; 07-10-2006 at 09:47 AM.