Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What stereo setup? cabin/cockpit spkr switch, wired remote... >

What stereo setup? cabin/cockpit spkr switch, wired remote...

Notices

What stereo setup? cabin/cockpit spkr switch, wired remote...

Old 07-12-2006, 04:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What stereo setup? cabin/cockpit spkr switch, wired remote...

I'm planning the audio system for my future Y2K superboat. I'd like 4 speakers in the cockpit, and 2 or 4 in the cabin. I'm thinking a cool setup would be to have the headunit down in the cabin, and a wired remote in the dashboard to control it. Definitely want XM radio hooked up to it too.

Also want to be able to switch between the cockpit and cabin speakers- so at night I can play some mood music in the cabin... How do I rig that up?

Any ideas? I was going to go with a non-marine headunit, but I haven't found one with a wired remote.

I can't stand clarion- I have two of them and they are confusing to work. I love alpine, but they don't have a marine unit. I'll look into Sony and Kenwood. Also want to play MP3 CD's.

I like JL audio- and they have new 7.5" marine speakers. Also heard good stuff about the polk/momo marine 6.5's and they are half the price ($200 a pair vice $400pair for JL).

I don't think I need an amp or subs yet. I just need music during long no-wake zones or when on the beach. Don' t listen to it on plane- so I don't need high volumes.

Any recommendations?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What stereo setup? cabin/cockpit spkr switch, wired remote...

Most headunits will not be able to properly power 8 speakers so you will need an amp somewhere, cockpit would be the most likely spot for it. That way you can bypass the amp (accessory switch) and just run the cabin speakers off of the headunit. I've heard nothing bad about either JL or Polks so let your ears be the judge on that one, however they will sound a lot better with an amp on them.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a stereo system in my Sutphen.

Sony head unit mounted in cabin with 2 wired remotes. There are companies that make a wired remote that is "universal", can be connected to any head unit.
I have 4 Diamond 6.5" speakers in the cockpit, powered by a Diamond 4-channel amp. I have a pair of 6x9`s in the cabin. Wire your cabin speakers into the "front" output and the cockpit speakers into the "rear" output, then use your fader control to switch back and forth.
I also have a pair of Diamond 12" subs under the rear seat, powered by a diamond amp.

This system sounds very good. Loud, clear, crisp.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:13 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

I have a sony head unit and a wired remote from http://www.access-tech.net
also I have a cabin with 2 8" sub and 4 6 inch speaker and teh cockpit has 2 10" sub 2-4 1/2 and 2 6x 9 speakers I drive all with two amplifierrs

I plan on up grading and am looking at Pioneer they offer water proof remotes xm and the ability to plug an IPOD into which the sony does not also the remote mimics the ipod display
Old 07-12-2006, 08:27 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to talk with me at O'Leary's.
I can advise you and maybe save you some money.
Definatly the JL's - they sound good. Sony or Pioneer head units. They will accept the wired remote for your helm. The Sony units allow for a LCD read out on remote.

One of the best head units is a Sony CDX-MP70 or CDX-MP80. They are discontinued, but search them on ebay. NICE unit. Has positive LCD display so you can see it in sunlight and has a really nice CD drive that will hold up to boating. Also will support XM, MP3's and has an aux input for whatever. You probably listen like I do, so you don't need buttloads of power.
Email me (or meet @ O'Leary's) and I'll give you more info.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 07-13-2006, 12:59 AM
Registered

I bought all JL audio stuff from Fountainatlast (Jim) member of these forums. Awhile back saw some posts about The JL stuff and he came highly reccomended by several people. Let me tell ya the equipment is awesome, and he really hooked me up on price...

I beleive he is a dealer for alot of different stereo equipment, look him up he had alot of good idea's that didn't drain my check book.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:16 AM
Registered

Here's one of the links for JL equipment with contact info, hope this helps...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ight=jl+marine