New motor won't line up >

New motor won't line up

Notices

New motor won't line up

Old 07-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New motor won't line up

Replaced my motor on a bravo one drive train (same block) and now I can't get it to line up. Front mounts are all the way down and rear is still too low. Alignment tool won't go all the way in. I R&R'ed the bell housing all the parts are back in correctly (fiber washer,spacer and spring). Is it possible to over torque the back bolts crushing the spacer spring etc? It looks like it's about 1/8 to 1/4 inch low.???? The front mounts prior to this were up approx. 1/8 from bottoming out. I adjusted them all the way down, front still too high. Need help here.......
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: New motor won't line up

When I replaced the engine in my boat, I was having a similar problem. It turns out that the engine height was just fine and the problem was angular misalignment of the gimbal bearing. I determined this by taking a piece of tubing which was the same diameter as the splined end of the yoke and inserted it through the transon into the coupler. It will give you a good reference as to the centerline position of your engine. You could use this to rough align the engine. The tubing should pass right through the center of the gimbal bearing bore. If the engine is high or low, it will not pass through the center. If the alignment tool will still not go in after you have the engine close, , it is because of angular misalignment of the gimbal bearing which can be corrected by hitting the end of the alignment tool with a hammer. Drive the tool towards the engine with a couple of firm blows. I am pretty sure that this is standard practice since the first alignment tool that I used was a rental and the end was beaten into a mushroom. This will not damage the gimbal bearing as long as you are driving the tool through the bore and not into the inner race.

Good luck,

Rene

Last edited by oldandtired; 07-20-2006 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:46 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you 100% sure you got the fiber washer,spacer and spring CORRECT?

Did the fiber washer fall off?

Everytime I have had problems that's what's happened.
There was a thread this week on the topic. It hat had a great suggestion from GOODT glue the fiber washer in place.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oldandtired
When I replaced the engine in my boat, I was having a similar problem. It turns out that the engine height was just fine and the problem was angular misalignment of the gimbal bearing. I determined this by taking a piece of tubing which was the same diameter ad the splined end of the yoke and inserted it through the transon into the coupler. It will give you a good reference as to the centerline position of your engine. You could use this to rough align the engine. The tubing should pass right through the center of the gimbal bearing bore. If the engine is high or low, it will not pass through the center. Once you have the engine close, if the alignment tool will still not go in, it is because of angular misalignment of the gimbal bearing which can be corrected by hitting the end of the alignment tool with a hammer.

Good luck,

Rene
Are we talking side to side alignment? I did what you said and the pipe sits straight down the center of the bearing but at an angle suggesting the engine is high in the front.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
Are you 100% sure you got the fiber washer,spacer and spring CORRECT?

Did the fiber washer fall off?

Everytime I have had problems that's what's happened.
There was a thread this week on the topic. It hat had a great suggestion from GOODT glue the fiber washer in place.
I'll check again, but yes, there all there.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered

Can you double stack the washer to correct for height?
Old 07-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Registered

I just reread your post. You used (same block)
You have something wrong. That engine should line up just like the day you took it out.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was talking about up and down, not side to side. If is is going right through the center, then you are close. Remember that the rear mount points for the engine are in front of the gimbal bearing. If you are out of alignment, in your case engine too high in front, it would place the tubing low in the bearing bore. If it right through the center, go with the hammer. When you hit it, it will not have a hard, metal to metal feel, rather it will drive the tool forward with some resistance. When the tool goes all the way in, you will get a solid contact between the shoulder of the tool and the gimbal bearing, that's the right time to stop. Obviously, dont go crazy wrecking things with the hammer, but be firm. I used a 3 lb sledge to drive mine, solid blows, not a full swing.

Rene
Old 07-20-2006, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by oldandtired
I was talking about up and down, not side to side. If is is going right through the center, then you are close. Remember that the rear mount points for the engine are in front of the gimbal bearing. If you are out of alignment, in your case engine too high in front, it would place the tubing low in the bearing bore. If it right through the center, go with the hammer. When you hit it, it will not have a hard, metal to metal feel, rather it will drive the tool forward with some resistance. When the tool goes all the way in, you will get a solid contact between the shoulder of the tool and the gimbal bearing, that's the right time to stop. Obviously, dont go crazy wrecking things with the hammer, but be firm. I used a 3 lb sledge to drive mine, solid blows, not a full swing.

Rene
The pipe goes through the middle of the g bearing but is in contact with the bottom of the g bearing showing front high, now what?
Old 07-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Registered

Check out this thread it show the stack.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ighlight=fiber
or
http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/mercrui...=113&A=39&B=24

Quick Reply: New motor won't line up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.