TRS vs Bravo >

TRS vs Bravo

Notices

TRS vs Bravo

Old 07-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRS vs Bravo

I need input, opinion are apprecieated.....

I know the Bravo 1 is a good drive but limited to how much hp can be put to them, and the TRS is stronger but harder to get parts for, and assuming you are NOT wave hopping, you ahve 525 or so HP, in a 10,000# boat, which drive would you prefer?

Thanks!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts
Default Re: TRS vs Bravo

I have TRS with 475 -500 hp for 3 years now and no problems so far. Pushing a 28 Pantera.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:51 PM
Registered

Negotiate the price down due to the "obsolete" TRS drives, then put the money toward a pair of bolt-on Konrads
Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 AM
Banned

I was talking to Galen at Speedmaster's, who has been working on drives since Moby Dick was a minnow. He said all these aftermarket drives, are just different cases with bravo parts. He said some of the newer ones use a transmission, instead of shifting in the drive. He said, "What do you have then?..............A TRS!". He's a pretty big fan of Trs, and all the talk about parts being scarce, I've yet to hear anyone say they had to throw away their Trs because they couldn't find parts.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't let a TRS drivve bother me as long as it has the rught transmission in front of it.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't let a TRS drive bother me as long as it has the right transmission in front of it.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:08 PM
Banned

The BW is the prefered transmission, but Deb's 22 had a Merc trannie. I had it gone through, and extra clutch plate installed, and the drive shaft spline clearanced. I was told it should be good to about 650 hp now. One drawback of the Trs is that it sits deeper in the water, and has more drag. I would have had to move the engine forward 4 to 7 inches to put a BW in it. I love the smooth shifting, no clunks. It's like the Twin Disc 502 transmissions shift in my 302 with the surface drives. With the trannies on both, you have to get used to it taking a split second to build up pressure in the tranny to shift. Otherwise, you think it's not in reverse (or forward), and you move the throttle more, and you are moving faster than you expected. Just takes a couple times to get used to it. Any drive that uses a transmission is going to be tougher than one that shifts in the outdrive.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The TRS weakness is a lower gear set/bearing support issue, with the left hand drives being stronger because of better gear/bearing support (probably why all single trs applications are left hand drives), while the Bravo's weakness is in the upper gearset, again because of a gear/ bearing support issue - in this case caused by shifting design needs.

Taking the shifting out of a Bravo gives you a stronger drive than the TRS because the Bravo lowers are apparently stronger than the TRS lowers.

I have had no problem breaking TRS's lowers with @600hp and 4k lbs, and thats without any "slip and grab" catching air screw-ups.

Seems all I've heard and seen puts the fuzzy limit on both drives at 550hp and above as being the beginning of trouble, so I'd rather have the sleeker, lighter, more parts available Bravo.
Attached Thumbnails TRS vs Bravo-cig-flush-04-2.jpg   TRS vs Bravo-cig-27-no-blower.jpg  
Old 07-30-2006, 07:59 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dockrocker
Negotiate the price down due to the "obsolete" TRS drives, then put the money toward a pair of bolt-on Konrads
agreed
Old 07-31-2006, 02:33 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TRS to Konrads are the way to go! Bravos don't last amd Konrads don't break.
Attached Thumbnails TRS vs Bravo-tn_pantera-1.jpg   TRS vs Bravo-tn_fountain-3.jpg  

Quick Reply: TRS vs Bravo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.