Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
HELP: Low pressure at lifters while priming... >

HELP: Low pressure at lifters while priming...

Notices

HELP: Low pressure at lifters while priming...

Old 08-08-2006, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP: Low pressure at lifters while priming...

Fresh from machine shop 502 Gen 6. When priming the oil system I develop good oil pressure. If I check a rocker that would be loose at that particular cycle in the rotation it pumps up and flows oil but you can collapse the lifter with thumb pressure. Very easy to push it down, when pushed down it pops right back up while spinning the drill primer.

I am using the correct distributor to prime with so it is not leaking past the shaft. It is this way on all lifters if you rotate through while priming. I removed several rocker arms and let the lifter extend up while priming. You can push the push-rod down with two fingers and collapse the lifter.

New cam bearings were installed, perhaps one of them is not correct? Not sure what to look for as the cause. I think the engine needs to take a ride back to the machine shop. I did look to see if the plugs were installed inside the lifter gallery.

Never really paid that much attention before but it seems that the lifter should be extremely hard to collapse by pressing on the rocker.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-2006, 06:45 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: HELP: Low pressure at lifters while priming...

No input on the lifter thing, I have been able to get almost 40 psi using a priming tool and a 1/2" 110 volt electric drill on a fresh motor, never thought to push the lifters, just checked for oil at the top of the push rods..

First time I tried to prime a motor which was in a jetbaot I found myself standing in 4 quarts of new oil as the builder had neglected to install the oil gallery plug below the number one hole