Is a sea strainer a must ?

Notices

Is a sea strainer a must ?

Old 08-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a sea strainer a must ?

I have a bravo 1 with the low water pick up on a 24 Pantera and 500 hp. big block that I have never put in the water but am getting very close to finishing. I don't know if I should make a hole in the transom for a water pick or stick with the factory one on the drive. Any ideas.

Thanks
Old 08-12-2006, 02:39 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Re: Is a sea strainer a must ?

Here's something you might find interesting and give you something to think about. I am using both. I have transom mounted water pick-ups that cools the engines and exits at the very tip of the tailpipes, and then I have the low water pick-ups through my Bravo One XR drives that flows through out two different areas.

Fig.#1, #2) With the low water pick-ups the water flows through the drives, then in the boat via a stainless braided hose, and then immediately shoots back out the transom via a 45* annodized fitting and shoots down right on the top caps of my drives by acting as a sort of drive shower.

Fig. #3) Before the water reaches the hose, some of it spits out of a small 3/8" hole that "Mr. Gadgets" drilled a into each of my bellows housings of each drive and acts as another type of drive cooler---this one is very effective in cooling the pinion gear and seems to work well.

I DO use sea strainers in my boat before the water enters my engines, but I know of several guys who do NOT use them.
Attached Thumbnails Is a sea strainer a must ?-hoseshowerdump.jpg   Is a sea strainer a must ?-dumpcapshower.jpg   Is a sea strainer a must ?-pinionwatercooler.jpg  

Old 08-12-2006, 08:04 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a sea strainer I feel they are a must, Kamma the 3/8" holes allow water to flow around the drives collar, neet trick effective must look like a jet ski at speed. Shame it can't be done in salt apps!

Phil
Old 08-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips that's something Iv never seen before. Dose the water pick up on the drive stop working above a certain speed like 70 mph. and above ?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MOP
I run a sea strainer I feel they are a must, Kamma the 3/8" holes allow water to flow around the drives collar, neet trick effective must look like a jet ski at speed. Shame it can't be done in salt apps!

Phil
Phil, there isn't much clearance for the water to come shooting out like a jet ski affect. Therefore, just a small amount of water just kind of spits it out---but it's enough to cool that pinion gear area around the drive collar. Yes, I think you're right....a salt application probably would salt shut/close those minute clearances.

Tgg, I haven't heard of a low water drive pick-up not working after 70mph...but maybe someone else has who can chime in.