Notices

epirb/lojack

Old 08-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default epirb/lojack

I have rewired several 2nd hidden epirb's to activate upon a theft of a yacht. I was wondering if anyone has tried this on smaller vessels and w/what results, legal or otherwise?

mm
Old 09-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Registered

Default Re: epirb/lojack

There are many locating devices around these days. Lojack would not be a good choice as it only works if the police have the locating device and they are not in every state. The gps locating devices would be a better choice as you can track the unit real time and it will leave a "bread crumb trail" where it has been. I have used these to track company vehicles and see where they were when and for how long. I wonder if insurance companys might be willing to offer a discount like they do for cars? South florida I know is very bad and that might be a good test area. I am currently looking at the different systems to determine which service provider gives you the most for your money!
Old 09-06-2006, 05:46 PM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

True, lo jack does not work in all states.

Chased a stolen truck today that was being tracked by the ONSTAR system.

Worked great, captured the suspect who also had two outstanding warrants , recovered the stolen truck. Worked real nice....

Buy the way, my EPIRB malfunctioned offshore on sat. I was 50 miles out on my friends boat fishing for Tuna when all of a sudden the Coasties sent - what I call " ghetto bird" (helicopter) to hover over top. They hailed us and expalined it was a malfunction.

Then they sent out a C-130. These guys were sharp. I felt really stupid but they were very I hope, I don't get the fuel bill for the birds.

WOW!!!!! EPIRBS work, however they will not initally know the boat is stolen. The coasties did not have my info at hand, that comes from SARSAT in Beltsville MD (registers EPIRBS)

They will attempt to make sure everyone is ok and then they will run your hull #, lie they did ours (with the c-130 and that should alert them to it being stolen.)

NOT CSI guys sorry, more lengthy of a process then everyone thinks, but it does work.

Last edited by Enforcer2; 09-06-2006 at 05:56 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 09-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Registered

We were at the bar at the marina one night and a couple of blow boaters set theirs off at the dock. Coast guard was right there and stayed for a while , I don't think they take lightly to a wild goose chase but I'm impressed with the responses I've heard of like yours. Kinda gives you a good feeling that if you ever really need them in an emergency, they would be there pretty fast!
Old 09-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Registered

Absolutley, in my mishap the EPIRB was in it'scase and was somehow emitting a signal. I apologized several times to thm and they were extremely nice and advised that it was not a big deal and it's what they are there for.

But I am sure if someone was playing around it would have been different.

I was definetly impressed with their response.

Tony
Old 09-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

Just so everyone is aware an EPIRB is a device for emergency use only, it is intended to SAVE LIVES, it is NOT a device to track stolen property. An EPIRB, when activated, sends out a radio signal on CH. 16 VHF the International Calling and Distress Frequency. When the Coast Guard Rescue Coordination Centers pick up this signal they automatically shift into high gear and start dispatching units ranging anywhere from your local small boat station to jets and helicopters to search for the source of the signal. Needless to say, used improperly this can cause these units to be unavailable for a REAL emergency not to mention the thousands of dollars it costs the taxpayers every hour they are looking for a FALSE distress signal.

If you use or dispose of an EPIRB improperly you are subject to the following:

"The Coast Guard routinely refers cases involving the non-distress activation of an EPIRB (either as a hoax, through gross negligence, carelessness or improper storage and handling) to the Federal Communications Commission. The FCC can prosecute cases based upon evidence provided by the Coast Guard, and will issue warning letters or notices of apparent liability or fines up to $10,000."

If you're going to carry an EPIRB on your boat, we strongly encourage you to learn its proper use.

If you would like to read about one of these FALSE cases go to:
http://www.uscgboating.org/articles/...iew.aspx?id=96
Old 10-01-2006, 07:19 PM
Registered

I think everytone is aware, just like the people that dial 911 to report a disabled vehicle. Your tax dollars at work. I need a raise.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 144 Likes on 84 Posts

Here ya go.

Very informative thread, thanks.
Attached Images  

NAPLES IMAGE Photo Galleries

NAPLES IMAGE PHOTOBLOG
Old 10-10-2006, 07:29 PM
Registered

Old 01-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Registered

Its a given that using the epirb for anything other than its intended use is illegal. I guess I am looking for an opinion on
WHO is sending out the illegal signal as the law is written.
Is it the person who wired it to activate when stolen or the
thief who CAUSED the signal to go out? Owners of very expensive yachts might find this a defensible position.

Quick Reply: epirb/lojack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.