leaking water into bilge >

leaking water into bilge

Notices

leaking water into bilge

Old 08-19-2006, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default leaking water into bilge

Got a bravo one drive that when under way is leaking water into bilge. Sitting, no water comes in, just when under way. Does that make sense, anything comon that would cause this, i would figure it would leak under way, or sitting, woudn't matter........
Old 08-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: leaking water into bilge

Mine too
Old 08-19-2006, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 1st thought would be hoses to/from the sea pump.
Old 08-19-2006, 06:17 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Is the speedo working, if not it maybe squirting water into bilge when moving
Old 08-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Registered

speedo works, have external pick-up for that
Old 08-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

had the same thing happen to me my raw water pump was leaking bad seal at idle when i checked it nothing about 3000 started leaking
Old 08-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

Well, a little update here. Btw, this is a boat that i am purchasing, but found the leak on the test run. So far we know that the speedo pick-up is not the leak. The boat will not leak any water when sitting in the water, engine runnning or not. But the motor was not revved either, just idle. Apparently he will get water in as slow as 25 mph. He found that one of the sea water pump hose had a bunch of cracks and checking, but it is a two walled hose, and i don't think that is the problem. Also, he was told when he had his motor built, that the water pressure was too high. So he was recommended to install a blow off valve on the water intake hose, blows off at 30 psi i believe?? Anyways, he as the the blow off output teed into the bilge pump line, but no check valves were installed. So it could be possbile that if the the valve pops, the water could not be making it all the way to the exit and actually going back down to the bilge pump and back flushing into the hull. I don't see how you could get 30 psi at 25 mph. So our next step is to replace those lines, eliminate the blow off valve for now, and try it again. I suggested running it with the hatch removed so i can get a look at what's going on while under way. Any other ideas guys??
Old 08-21-2006, 09:13 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Could be that the relief valve isn't seating, then it would back feed through the pump.

Is the original hole for the speedo through the transom assy plugged?
Old 08-21-2006, 11:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the identical problem. Sat in engine compartment while idling....no leakage. Water only comes in at speed. So far no volunteers to sit in engine compartment while running across the lake. I was thinking the same thing....take off cover. Good luck.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What engine?

First, the Bravo 1 drive does have a speedometer pickup built into it. If you have a separate speedometer pitot that is hosed to your speedometer, you need to find where the speedometer inlet tube from the Bravo drive is terminating at, and make sure it is bent and clamped. I would also remove it from the outdrive connection. Trim your outdrive all the way up, and you will see a small black hose with a yellow plastic end to it, stuck into the top of the front of the cavitation plate. If you can blow into this, and push air through, this is where your water is coming from.

Second, if you have a 496HO with the FWC system, there are pressure release valves that go bad on them on rare occaisions. It happened to one of mine. Water pressure was only high enough at speed over 35mph to push the pressure valve open.

Third, you could have a pinhole leak in the speedometer tube going to your speedometer on the dash.

Fourth, make sure your exhaust holes are sealed around the tailpipes. Make sure your rubrail is not leaking. Make sure any exposed engine hatch hinges are not leaking. When you come off plane, a wall of water hits the back of your boat, and could come in at any of these places.

Fifth, make sure none of your drive/trim tab indicator cables are cracked outside or inside, which will allow water to come into the boat, via inside the cables.

Sixth, make sure the sea water pump hoses are fully pushed onto their barbs and the hose clamps have not compromised anything. I changed an impellor in a hurry once, and found out that I did not install the output hose all the way and pumped water into the bilge.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-22-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Quick Reply: leaking water into bilge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.