Imco silent choice replacement options >

Imco silent choice replacement options

Notices

Imco silent choice replacement options

Old 08-23-2006, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Imco silent choice replacement options

I currently have a 502 mpi with imco headers and silent choice. I really don't like the way the silent select is engineered. I just got the boat, but from what i can tell, there is not limit switches. A guy has to kinda guess by sound wether or not the exhaust is open or through the prop. It also has one selenoid on one side, then uses a linkage to go over to the other side and open that butterfly. It also has a lot of vibration on the selenoid linkages and plates that is really annoying and noisy. I have seen one from eddy marine that has independant selenoids, also have seen some from other companies that are air driven. The emi had a brain box, i take it that a guy just clicks the switch to open, and the butterflies stop when open, or closed without the operator stopping it on "feel". Am i correct with this, or am i way off. What would be a good replacement for what i have? I have called EMI and they have told me that the manufacturer or their brain box went out of business and they are currently looking for a new manufacturer and will have something ready to go by november. Which is fine by me, i can go the rest of the season with what i have, but will defenately be changing for next year.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Imco silent choice replacement options

I have Imco Sound Advantage (thinks its called Sound Advantage). From your description, mine is set up the same as yours, with the rod that goes from the solenoid side (starbord) over to the port side. If what you have is the same as mine, the butterflies as you call them, are infinitely adjustable. i.e. the exhaust can be adjusted to go fully thru the prop, or fully thru the transom. Or, anywhere in between! I like this system much better than the typical silent choice type, because it can be set for any amount of exhaust noise wanted. I've had it on my ZZ502/502 for four seasons now, with no problems. At least no problems I'm aware of. Damn, now ya got me wondering....I'm gonna check the linkage tomorrow
Old 08-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

switched from Merc air to Corsa elect this year.......either fully open or fully closed.......no in between.........a solinoid for each bank of cylinders......no linkages......no air lines running everywhere and no pump to mount........super simple straight elect hookup.......super positive engagement of the elect solinoids......love it.....doug
Old 08-24-2006, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
switched from Merc air to Corsa elect this year.......either fully open or fully closed.......no in between.........a solinoid for each bank of cylinders......no linkages......no air lines running everywhere and no pump to mount........super simple straight elect hookup.......super positive engagement of the elect solinoids......love it.....doug
Is your exhaust switch either on or off then, not a momentary switch?
Old 08-24-2006, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cloudmaster_321
Is your exhaust switch either on or off then, not a momentary switch?
the switch has two positions.......up for open......down for closed.......you can leave it in either position for as long as you like.......
Old 08-24-2006, 09:19 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put these on my T-496HO's a couple of years ago and they have worked perfect. They operate off an electric worm gear on each motor vice the open/shut solenoid of Corsa. Plus they were very economically priced and are very similar to the IMCO models.

http://www.rexmar.com/page234.html