502 MPI idle speed >

502 MPI idle speed

Notices

502 MPI idle speed

Old 08-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 502 MPI idle speed

My idle speed is at 750-800 according to my tach. Is it possible to lower the idle a bit. Possibly to 600? I got yelled at by the local sheriff boat today cuz he said i was going too fast through the channel. Told him nothing i could do, throttle was all the way back. He didn't turn around or anything, but i'd rather not be hassled at all. Plus, i wouldn't mind a slower entry speed to the docks.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 502 MPI idle speed

The engine should idle at 600 rpm. I don´t think it is adjustable. So, either the tach is faulty or it is in fact not idling. Could be that the throttleplates don´t close completely.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an adjustment on the throttle plates to open and close them at idle. You may try closing them slightly and see if the idle comes down. You may also need to clean the end of the Idle air motor-carbon on the end will hang it slightly open.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
There is an adjustment on the throttle plates to open and close them at idle. You may try closing them slightly and see if the idle comes down. You may also need to clean the end of the Idle air motor-carbon on the end will hang it slightly open.
right now, there is an eddie marine air cleaner on it, do i need to take that off to close the throttle plates? I just got this motor/boat, don't know anything about it yet, how do i close the throttle plates?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

You will find an allen head adjustment screw on the throttle body near the air cleaner. It is the throttle plate stop. By loosening it slightly the plate will close down a little. Only make small adjustments so the IAC can catch up and regulate the idle speed.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may also be possible to adjust the throttle wire where it is bolted to the engine. If you take off the flamearrestor/air cleaner you should be able to see if the throttleplates close when throttle lever is in the idle end of the travel.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Registered

Agree that you should check the throttle cable to see of it's sticking a little and not allowing the throttle plates to hit the stop.

I do not agree that you should mess with the throttle plate stop screws unless you have ruled out all other causes and have a scan tool on the engine while you adjust it.

You have to first establish if the ECM is driving the high idle (high Desired Idle Speed) or if the engine is not able to achive the Desired Idle Speed due to other causes (misadjusted throttle cable, vacuum leak, bad IAC, etc.)

Dave
Old 08-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
You will find an allen head adjustment screw on the throttle body near the air cleaner. It is the throttle plate stop. By loosening it slightly the plate will close down a little. Only make small adjustments so the IAC can catch up and regulate the idle speed.
do i need to pull the air cleaner off, or is it somewhere accessible? front/ back?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

It is accessible with the flame arrestor on but I will defer to Dave N on this one. Make sure you check all the other possibilities first before adjusting the idle screw. It fixed mine, but someone had messed with it. Check all the things Dave listed, then go looking for the screw.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dave hit the nail on the head. Dont go adjusting things without the right tools, you can throw the sensors out of adjustment then you could run into idling problems as well as just off idle issues. Check out what was suggested before anything else.

John S.

Quick Reply: 502 MPI idle speed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.