Intercooler Boost >

Intercooler Boost

Notices

Intercooler Boost

Old 08-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Intercooler Boost

Whats The Rule Of Thumb For Adding An Intercooler. Still Wanting To Run Pump Gas. Can You Go From 5lbs Non Intercooled To 10 Pounds Intercooled ?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Intercooler Boost

I've been told up to 7-8 lbs on pump gas

Tom
Old 09-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

knot right is running 10lbs of boost on pump gas, pm him
Old 09-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by z.zuperboat
Whats The Rule Of Thumb For Adding An Intercooler. Still Wanting To Run Pump Gas. Can You Go From 5lbs Non Intercooled To 10 Pounds Intercooled ?
Generally No.

It all depends on compression. I run 10psi with 8.25:1 compression. I would add no more than 2-3psi with an intercooler. Even then it all depends on the setup.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alot depends on Cr., cam,heads etc,also lake water temp and air temp.

I am at 9 On my whipple,innercooler on 93. so far so good.over 9 showed detonation,10 on the dyno on pump gas lost 50hp.Race gas at 9 showed a little hp loss also.

Like the other day I was running in 91 degree lake water temp and 98 air temp.It hit the knock sensor a couple times at 57-5800rpm 9 psi

I ran 12 on my Scarab Littlefield,pfm innercooler on 93 at 8.1 cr .

I would say anything above 8 you better be on your tune up and hope ya don't get any bad gas.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Registered

Will I See Any Increase Just Adding An Intercooler And Not Upping The Boost. Teagues Reps Recommending Leaving The Boost Alone At 6 Pounds And Adding An Intercooler. Also Claiming 125hp Increase From The Cooler Without Upping The Boost. I Now Have A Flat Hatch And Really Dont Want Any Type Of Scoop Unless I Can See Some Amazing Results.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adding an intercooler will lower your boost. To keep 6psi you will have to run a smaller pulley other wise you will not gain much other than reliability. That’s the beauty of intercoolers, they allow you make more HP without more boost.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z.zuperboat
Will I See Any Increase Just Adding An Intercooler And Not Upping The Boost. Teagues Reps Recommending Leaving The Boost Alone At 6 Pounds And Adding An Intercooler. Also Claiming 125hp Increase From The Cooler Without Upping The Boost. I Now Have A Flat Hatch And Really Dont Want Any Type Of Scoop Unless I Can See Some Amazing Results.

On the Dyno on my PFM it was 25 HP by turning the water off and on.i was thinking it was going to be 75.But Also I didn't have much water pressure on the dyno in the innercooler just flow.They claim ya lose 1 pound of boost from the restriction.I guess its just good insurance.

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:18 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Colder air = denser air = more oxygen to burn
Compressing air autmotacially heats it. Some SC's are more effecient than others and thus create less heat than others.

Cooler air also has less tendancy to detonate.

Upping boost doesn't always = more power. If spinning the supercharger faster only heats up the air more, boost will increase on the guage, but actual oxygen content can be less and this super heated air may be more prone to detonate.

Never equate more boost as more oxygen. Just because a boost guage shows more boost, this does not always mean more 'air.'

Unless measuring with specific tools, don't always assume adding an intercooler that show's less boost, is a big restriction. Sometimes it is, but many times it is the denser oxygen that shows up on your guage as less boost.

'Boost' is something to look at, data of sorts that gives you SOME information, but by no means is it something to go by only.

We need knock sensors, egt's, spark plug readings, and engine performance data to see if the faster blower speed is helping or hurting.

Swapping blower pullies can be dangerous because anybody can do it and the TEMPATION is huge !!! Just as tempting as putting in bigger nitrous jets.

Just be careful !!!
Old 09-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Registered

So Far The Boost Went From 4 To 5 With An Increase Of 2-3 Mph Then From 5 To 6 With Another Increase Of 2-3 Mph. Tried Taking Some Timing Out, 1 Degree Per Pound With The Initial At 30 Taking It Down To 24-25 And Lost 2 Mph. Plugs Still On The Phat Side. Don't Want To Be On The Edge So Its Time To Stop. Last I Mite Up The Timing To 36, Either Leave It Their Or Setting At 36 With A Retard Of 6 Back To 30 At Full Boost. Initial At 36 Mite Make It Get To That Top End Number Quicker.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Boost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.