Anyone ever try............... >

Anyone ever try...............

Notices

Anyone ever try...............

Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone ever try...............

To pull a motor out of their boat while it is still in the water? I know of a couple people that have done it with inboards, no big deal, but has anyone tried this with a sterndrive and had any luck? Believe it or not, it would be easier for me to do it in the water before I haul it out for the winter. Once it's out of the water, my marina won't let me do it on drydock. I know the motor has to be aligned after it goes back in, but I may be able to get it pretty close , enough to get it to the haulout slip. Any thought's? Thank's.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Anyone ever try...............

you need to plug up the water inlet hose coming from the water pickups or the drive; as well as any sea strainers.....also, depending on the model boat; the bow may lower towards the water if there is compensating weight up front....other than that, i do not see why it couldn't be done
Old 09-01-2006, 03:37 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Assuming Alpha/Bravo.

You would have to slide the engine ahead to
get the coupler and input shaft separated.

Do you have adequate room in front of the engine to do so ?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Registered

the guy that owned my top gun before me blew up so many 454/carb that we lost count and he and some kid would change them in a bout 4 hours in the water right here at the dock using a chainfall and a beam bolted to one of the pilings... took them about 4 hours to do the turn around... often much longer than the next motor would last... but doable easy.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:24 PM
Registered

The boat I want to do this on is a Baja 34 express, with twin 454 and Bravo 1's. The reason I want to do it now, in the water, is because the ring gear is bad on the flywheel, and I have a new ring gear for it, and I'm aware that the water intake will need to be plugged, but other than that, I've got like 4 ft. in front of the motor to slide forward. I'm thinking of doing the piling to piling across the boat to raise the motor a few inches, just enough to turn the motor and yank the coupler and flywheel.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 AM
Registered

i can't imagine 4 in is enough. i think 6 may be the min on mine anyway...
Old 09-02-2006, 05:40 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine and his brother hauled a 4 cylinder out of a runabout by hand. Literally unbolted it, lifted it out and set it on the dock. Picked the new one up and put it in . They had a full RnR in less than an hour. It was a customer boat and a warranty deal. The boat was new and they had another model at the shop with same engine. Customer called fromt the ramp and said the engine was knocking, he said I will bet there in an hour with a new engine. That is customer service!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Alignment will be eyeballed??? Or just match the alignment of the old engine and hope for the best.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 AM
artselectricinc.com
Platinum Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did it in a 33 Donzi. No problem. Just mark the motor mounts whith a pen or a scribe so you can plant the engine in exactly the same spot it came from. If it was aligned before the swap, it should be aligned after. I would definetly check the alignment properly as soon as you can.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:42 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Alignment will be eyeballed??? Or just match the alignment of the old engine and hope for the best.
Thats what I was wondering about as well. Seems to me that you might be pulling it out again real soon to replace a coupler.