prochargers burning up pistons >

prochargers burning up pistons

Notices

prochargers burning up pistons

Old 09-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy prochargers burning up pistons

Anyone had trouable with a procharger burning up pistons in their motor? If so what did you do to correct the problem? I'm running a modified 502 with an m1.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:16 PM
Registered

Default Re: prochargers burning up pistons

detonation- U need more fuel. What modifcations were made to the 502 and to the fuel system. What did the piston look like?
Old 09-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Definately not enough fuel. Define modified. Carbs or injected. Did you remap the ECM, etc.?
Old 09-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Re: prochargers burning up pistons

You've got to set air/fuel ratios correctly before you run a supercharger on any motor. Get an air/fuel ratio meter, install a bung on the dry part of the exhaust and get the air/ fuel ratios reset to safe ranges before you set up and run a new supercharger motor hard in a boat! Any piston will burn down under supercharging with improper air/fuel ratios under load!

Ray @ Raylar
Old 09-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Racer
Racer

What boast are you running? fuel pressure? carb? fuel injection? since in all likely hood your pulling the motor out to repair get it on a dyno with an experienced tuner and watch your EGT's it's cheaper in the long run. Also dont shoot for the moon, find a sweet spot and enjoy your boat. I've had prochargers on my Fountain for over ten years 454's 540's 502's also make sure your getting plenty of water to your intercoolers. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2006, 07:22 PM
Registered

It's a 502 mag efi 30 over with je flat top forged pistons, the intake runners have been cut down,heads have bowl blending with 2.250 intake valves and stock size iconel exhaust valves. I'm running full comp hyd. roller setup with aeromotive fuel pump and 100 micron filter at 40 psi, and 5 lbs. of boost. I also have a enlarged throttle body and am running keith eickert headders.Any input is appreciated and am wondering what size injectors I should be running.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:12 PM
Registered

Ok, so who remapped the computer and for what boost, did you run it on the dyno, if so what were the readings? if it wasn't run on a dyno, there is really no way to tell if the mapping is right. Spend the $'s now. I've been on this road before, the sooner you get off, the cheaper it will be.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20 PM
Registered

Are you running 93 octane gas? Do you have a thermostat installed?

I have a friend that has been running his setup for 7 years now, so it can be done. the first year he had the boat it was at wot almost all of the time. As long as the setup is correct and you are using the correct gas it will work.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

I have a 502 mag with a Vortech, Dart pro 1 heads, extruned honed intake, headers, Aeromotive pump and regulator with 10 an fuel lines, 55lb injectors, and a highly modified fuel cooler. The knock sensor will go off at anything less than 47lbs of pressure. You need a gauge on the regulator and one at your dash, fuel management is the key to your motor living. I would think you're running way to low of volume and pressure for your set-up. You need at least 10an line with a return line back to your tank off the regulator. Obviously if you're burning pistons that would be your first sign. You need to get an after market regulator and ditch the merc fuel system all together IMO.
Smitty (Articfriends) will chime in, he's the resident expert on these set-ups.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Oh, btw, I only run av gas or better in it. Cheap insurance........

Quick Reply: prochargers burning up pistons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.