Bad Oil Pump? >

Bad Oil Pump?

Notices

Bad Oil Pump?

Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Oil Pump?

Last weekend after a long run at fairly high RPMs when pulling into the dock my warning buzzer went off and in looking down the only thing that seemed off was my oil pressure gauge that was down to less than 20 lbs. This week I started it in my driveway and ran it about a half an hour - it was about 30 lbs at idle and at 2000 RPM about 45 or 50 lbs. The manual says that 35 - 80 is normal. Today I put it back in the water and started it up and ran for a little while and all looked normal, then I opened it up and it looked OK for a little while, then I started hearing noise from the motor! I brought it back to idle and the oil pressure was down to around 10 lbs. It is full of oil and the oil looks fresh, the wire to the sending unit seems tight, and it doesn't seem to be getting hot, although I am due to replace my seawater impeller. It is a '94 454 with about 400 hours. Does this sound like anything other than a oil pump?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bad Oil Pump?

What is your oil temp? I would cut the filter open and check for bearing material. Since you heard a noise I would suspect rods or mains to be the problem. Oil pumps do not go bad that often. If it is an oil pump you may as well rebuild while it is out.
Old 09-04-2006, 06:17 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Bad Oil Pump?

Might of crack something on the oil pickup, happened to me a few times this year with the same symptoms you are describing.

That would make you draw air and mess with pressure. I owuld not drive the boat like that... you could turn a $700 repair into $7000 real fast.