how hard is to replace the starter >

how hard is to replace the starter

Notices

how hard is to replace the starter

Old 09-10-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard is to replace the starter

I had a previous question which was titled no start condition, and found out it was ( I think) the starter. I tapped what I think was the starter and the boat started. It looks like a mother f-bomb to get...

The boat is a 92 baja 240 sport.

Thanks again for all the help,

WayneO
Old 09-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: how hard is to replace the starter

the local merc dealer here is in the 60's. To change a starter, he pulls the engine out to do it! Does that give you an idea how hard it is ? Or then how old he is ?
Old 09-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Registered

if you have to use language like " what i THINK is the starter" then you absolutely need to just hire someone qualified to fix your boat and spend YOUR time doing what you do for a living to earn the cash to pay him. you simply do not have even the most basic skills or knowledge to proceed.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
if you have to use language like " what i THINK is the starter" then you absolutely need to just hire someone qualified to fix your boat and spend YOUR time doing what you do for a living to earn the cash to pay him. you simply do not have even the most basic skills or knowledge to proceed.
What's so wrong about someone for wanting to attempt to figure out what needs to be done to correct a problem? And better yet, moving forward with correcting the problem themselves. That's how we learn. Yes, sometimes is does not work, sometimes we git'r done, sometimes not. And sometimes in the process of fixing/replacing a part we break or phuck up something else in the process. Sometimes we spend $$ on the wrong part/s. And sometimes is costs more than it would if we took it to a pro. Been there done that And sometimes, we get it right the 1st time Regardless, ya gotta learn, right??

A while ago I posted a ? here about a potential starter problem. I didn't get ragged on for asking questions. What I did get was helpful feed back from a few members and a few suggestions on where to start and what to look for. That's what this forum is about. No one asks a question just to get a kick in the azz.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Dude,

To change my starter out I have to lean from the other side of the motor with my arms extended out under the starter to get to the bolts. Its a pain in the ARSE. Getting to the wires wasn't the problems but that far bolt under the starter is B****TCH!! And trying to hold the starter when the last bolt is removed so it doesnt drop down into the bilge. I have become a pro at tmine due to shimmming issues of the starter.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered

and you KNOW what a starter is and what it looks like. there is nothing at all wrong with anyone wanting to learn but GEEZE... do you launch into a technical repair without even knowing what the parts ARE ? thats not even rational.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:32 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

I grew up in a neighborhood of all Mercedes, BMW's,and Porsche's. It was a 'cut'm a check neighborhood.'

No knowledge at all.

Within 2 yrs of getting my liscense I figured out how to get a small block olds to 7500rpm. The next year I figured out that if I wanted to spin 7500rpm and not break parts every other week that I needed a SBC. A year after that, I figured out that I could build a different motor (BBC) and run faster shifting at a much tamer 6500-7000rpm and do so on pump gas.

So, the question is - can you deal with the wrong decisions, improper R&R, and more costly mistakes at first so you can eventually make more intelligent decisions and do more things on your own ? Or is it not worth the time, effort, and $$$ and have someone else do it ?

Both are fine and respectable to me. Just don't cry about which way you went.

BTW: this is just a starter. Not an engine rebuild or anything. Being a contortionist can be the hardest part of a starter R&R.

Last edited by SB; 09-11-2006 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I grew up in a neighborhood of all Mercedes, BMW's,and Porsche's. It was a 'cut'm a check neighborhood.'

No knowledge at all.

Within 2 yrs of getting my liscense I figured out how to get a small block olds to 7500rpm. The next year I figured out that if I wanted to spin 7500rpm and not break parts every other week that I needed a SBC. A year after that, I figured out that I could build a different motor (BBC) and run faster shifting at a much tamer 6500-7000rpm and do so on pump gas.

So, the question is - can you deal with the wrong decisions, improper R&R, and more costly mistakes at first so you can eventually make more intelligent decisions and do more things on your own ? Or is it not worth the time, effort, and $$$ and have someone else do it ?

Both are fine and respectable to me. Just don't cry about which way you went.

BTW: this is just a starter. Not an engine rebuild or anything. Being a contortionist can be the hardest part of a starter R&R.
Changed the starter on my H2X and it was a little tough but not impossible. you cant see the bolts you have to feel around. The hardest part was getting the first of 2 bolts started and holding the starter up basically blind. Once you get a good look at it and start taking off wires youll figure it out. If it really scares you then take it somewhere.
I try and do all my own repairs on my boats, I would rather screw it up once and learn then pay somebody else to do it. Ive noticed half the time the marinas have less idea how to diagnosis problems then I do.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Registered

all this is true and completely fair enough... you get no argument from me... other than to say...

if it was my 60 k boat and i didn't know my a** from a hole in the ground about working on it... i would hire someone to show me so that i could learn in an intellegent fashion....

in FACT , with roughy 30 yrs experience designing and manufacturing race cars and building engines, that is EXACTLY what i did when i got this top gun w/ two bad motors. i hired a pro to work along side me as i did all the work. he introduced me to the nuances and boat specific technology and techniques so i didn't just light 100 dollar bills on fire by making stupid mistakes. in the end i knew every wire, pipe, and piece of hardware on that boat intimately. it took two weeks.

could i have figured it all out myself ? sure. but why be stupid when you can be smart ?

but thats just me.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:10 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

dagah2x -
Found out a trick after all these years. Got it from some 'big truck' mechanics this spring.

Hold the starter up with long zip ties - hung loosely, this way you can swing it under with your arm, finger, what have you, while starting the first bolt.

Worked awesome.

Psyched to be told this trick - just wish I heard / figured it out many years ago. Hell, atleast I founf out now !

Quick Reply: how hard is to replace the starter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.