Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter... >

Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

Notices

Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

Old 09-12-2006, 09:07 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

Changed the oil in my totally rebuilt HP500's at 8 hours. I'm learning this week that both oil filters had copper color & silver color metal in them. (waited for a cutting tool) Now what??

History... Both blocks were rebuilt with new heads, cams, valves, bearings, intake and headers, etc. Reused the stock HP500 Crank.

I had been chasing an oil pressure problem on one motor (port) and a oil temperature problem on the other (starboard). Oil change seemed to help the temperature problem a little but the pressure on the port starts at 40PSI and drop to 20-22PSI after running a while.

The port motor also started leaking oil (after this 8 hr oil change) a bit from what I believe to be the rear seal. (Hard to tell) Nothing too major and oil levels never dropped too low, but I have added a couple quarts to the port motor. Nothing added to the Starboard side. I'm also beginning to see a bit more "exhaust" from the port side at start up. Too little to tell if it's oil or just a lean condition.

Both motors run good for now...

I'm changing the filters again tomorrow and cutting them open to see what I have. I'm expecting to see more metal. If so... what suggestions are out there as for my next step?

Last edited by Blue by You; 09-12-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

This is exactly what just happened to me I had 20 hours on 502 rebuilt motors and same oil consumtion on one motor and smoking at start up as you.I had to pull motors and Im in the process of rebuilding them again with new builder.Turns out last builder did a shabby job on machine work .I hope this is not your situation and that it is only break in material .Who did your rebuilds?Good luck and keep us posted.

Nordic95
Old 09-12-2006, 09:17 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

What was the exact cause? Bearings? The engine assembler (not builder)better stand behind them... we'll see.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Blue,

I cannot look at your filters but .... if there is copper material there, it is more than likely from the bearings and the engine should NOT be run any longer without being disassembled and checked. The longer you run it, the more damage you will do.

If nothing else, you need to take the filter to your builder and let HIM make the decision. If you stop now, it might be a simple repair. If you keep running it it could turn into a big mess and to be honest with you, its not fair to your builder to ask him to stand behind all the damage if you keep running it and it destroys the engine. If you have a warranty, he should be the one you are asking these questions of.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 09-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blue by You
What was the exact cause? Bearings? The engine assembler (not builder)better stand behind them... we'll see.
I just posted pictures of my new engines being put together today.Mine was to large of tolerances in the main bearings,I paid to have blocks line honed but when we checked them the tolerances were all over the place and to large,hence low oil pressure.One of my cylinders was so far out of round we had to sleeve it to save from buying new pistons,I think this was damage from a bent rod that was caused before I bought the boat.But first builder did not see this damage.This is what was causing oil to burn.Not saying that any of this could or would pertain to you,I'm just stating my sh^&y situation I'm in.I learned my lesson with using a non reputable marine engine builder.

Nordic95
Old 09-12-2006, 09:32 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BillK
Blue,

I cannot look at your filters but .... if there is copper material there, it is more than likely from the bearings and the engine should NOT be run any longer without being disassembled and checked. The longer you run it, the more damage you will do.

If nothing else, you need to take the filter to your builder and let HIM make the decision. If you stop now, it might be a simple repair. If you keep running it it could turn into a big mess and to be honest with you, its not fair to your builder to ask him to stand behind all the damage if you keep running it and it destroys the engine. If you have a warranty, he should be the one you are asking these questions of.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Thx Bill... I'm not planning on running it until we can identify the problem. Just sux that the boat was splashed 4th of july and 2 months later (14 hours) I'm done. It's a crime.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:33 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Damn!

Originally Posted by nordic95
I just posted pictures of my new engines being put together today.Mine was to large of tolerances in the main bearings,I paid to have blocks line honed but when we checked them the tolerances were all over the place and to large,hence low oil pressure.One of my cylinders was so far out of round we had to sleeve it to save from buying new pistons,I think this was damage from a bent rod that was caused before I bought the boat.But first builder did not see this damage.This is what was causing oil to burn.Not saying that any of this could or would pertain to you,I'm just stating my sh^&y situation I'm in.I learned my lesson with using a non reputable marine engine builder.

Nordic95
Old 09-12-2006, 09:36 PM
Registered

Thx Bill... I'm not planning on running it until we can identify the problem. Just sux that the boat was splashed 4th of july and 2 months later (14 hours) I'm done. It's a crime.
If it make you feel any better I had my engines out three times this summer and only have 20 hours on them since the early spring.

SU$KS

Nordic95
Old 09-12-2006, 09:37 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Let me check....

Nope, no better.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Registered

Let me check....

Nope, no better.
Sorry I tried.

Quick Reply: Found Copper & Silver metal in oil filter...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.