Notices

WOT problem

Old 09-17-2006, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT problem

Have a Volvo Penta 420DPXa 2002 190 hrs. Boat runs good at idle and just cruising at 3-3.5krpms. WOT problem happens will run 4800 rpms for about 3-5 secs. then starts to surge. drops down to 4-3.5krpm somtimes 3krpms. bring back to idle for few minutes and try again same thing. No backfire or anything like that just kind of stutters. I just change the fuel filter. Check the raw water cooling lines cooling the fuel pump--getting water from heat exchanger and passing through pump. This engine is multi port injected with coil packs per cylinder. I am thinking fuel pump maybe.

a little history before purchasing this boat-- took for a test drive two weeks before buying. Weekend before purchase previous owner ran the tank out of gas three times. Maybe burned up fuel pump?

I see a little air valve steam like a tire on the fuel pump assy and another on the fuel rail over the top of motor. Is this the spot to check for fuel pressure. if so what should it be?

Maybe I am not on a good path here any input is appreciated.

Motor starts quick, not like it is starving for fuel there.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:07 AM
Registered

Default Re: WOT problem

Sounds very much like fuel starvation. As you say, check fuel pressure at WOT to confirm. Dont know how to do it on a Volvo 420 though. Likelt causes, fuel pump, fuel filter, anti siphon valve, injectors, etc
Old 10-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Registered

Today had Palmer Power out of Houston sea run test my rig. After diagnostics found a Faulty TPS sensor and a week of waiting for parts that was replaced it was determined to ensure everything ok that a sea run be performed. They report 20psi of fuel at WOT which is causing my problem. The are ordering the HIGH pressure side of fuel pump assy and hopefully will be sea worthy.

Last edited by dualprop; 10-06-2006 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dualprop
Today had Palmer Power out of Houston sea run test my rig. After diagnostics found a Faulty TPS sensor and a week of waiting for parts that was replaced it was determined to ensure everything ok that a sea run be performed. They report 20psi of fuel at WOT which is causing my problem. The are ordering the HIGH pressure side of fuel pump assy and hopefully will be sea worthy.
they should of cked the fuel pressure while checking it out the frist time but thats the norm in the Marine biz,.Like mats said it could be more than the pump.may be a restriction ,anti siphon valve,but the pump should fix it ,just make sur e you have good press at wfo

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Think I Saw You Boat At Palmer Power A Few Weeks Back. Does It Have Teal And Green In It. Looked At It And Could Not Figure Out What Kind It Was. Looked Nice Though.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
they should of cked the fuel pressure while checking it out the frist time but thats the norm in the Marine biz,.Like mats said it could be more than the pump.may be a restriction ,anti siphon valve,but the pump should fix it ,just make sur e you have good press at wfo
Can mechanics check WOT fuel pressure being out of water?? I was thinking that they had to be in the water running to check this?

Let me know if you know of a better way so I can know in the future without having to waste time going to a from lake.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
I Think I Saw You Boat At Palmer Power A Few Weeks Back. Does It Have Teal And Green In It. Looked At It And Could Not Figure Out What Kind It Was. Looked Nice Though.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dualprop

THATS THE ONE I SAW. WHAT IS IT? GOOD LOOKING BOAT
Old 10-07-2006, 01:06 PM
Registered

it is a 2001 26' commander signature. Thanks for the compliment.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Registered

You can check static and possibly idle fuel pressure with the boat out of the water. However, many of the fuel pressure related problems will not show up until you are under load. As you say in your starting post you have the problem under load at some 3000 rpm. What you want to do is to check fuel pressure exactly when you have the problems.

Quick Reply: WOT problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.