Notices

Gil Exhaust

Old 09-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gil Exhaust

I have a leak between my Gil Manifold and Gil Riser. I can see the leak externally coming through the gaskets. I want to know if I should replace the stainless steel risers or just the gaskets. I removed the risers and did a home leak test by filling the riser's outer jacket with water to see if it would leak on the inside of the riser. I could see no leaking but of it was not pressurized. Any advice? The risers are 10 years old in brackish water. Thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts
Default Re: Gil Exhaust

No water get circulated directly between the manifold and riser through the gasket on Gils. The water is transfered with a hose.
If it was just a bad gasket, you would only have exhaust gas gases leaking there. Chances are that you have a crack in the manifold in that area. Look for cracks between the dividers at the top of the manifold. The SS risers wil outlast the the aluminum manifolds by a long time. If the riser had a leak, I doubt it would leak all the way back down to where the riser meets the manifold.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:03 PM
Registered

This is a strange problem because the Manafolds are only 6 months old and they are Gil. The risers are 10 years old. I defenely see water dripping from the gasket bettween manifold and riser down the side of the manfold.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you didnt mention if they are one peice water jacketed risers all the way out the back if they are i just had same problem, one of the inside welds went bad and was leaking in. they repaired the weld but i was told i would have to get new risers eventually but in the mean time drain the manifolds after every use, just pull the hose off the bottom. also you can check whers the riser meets the manifold make sure its in good shape.

Last edited by tuffenuff355; 09-24-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

I would guess that the weld at the bolting flange or the next weld at the bend is leaking then. Also it may not leak till it gets hot and the metal expands.

BTW, I've got a set of Gil Risers that came off my 1996 525SC. The manifolds were bad, but the risers look fine. I would sell um cheap. I replaced them with CMI's about 3 years ago. Had about 300hrs on them.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would bet that the water is from reversion. Probably from a bad gasket.
Old 09-25-2006, 11:41 AM
Registered

Nobody mentioned the possibility of head gasket leaking? That could be it also.
What do you think?
Old 09-25-2006, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This weekend I was winterizing my 420's w/Gils and when I filled the riser via the hose the fluid leaked out the manifold hose assembly at the bottom in one of 4 risers. : Meee thinks this is not so good Thoughts
Old 09-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Registered

I found a little water in Cylinder #3. The plug was a little rusty and wet. Got the water out of there and sprayed WD40. Did a compression test and each cylinder has good compression. I would think it would be the head gasket but all cylinders have good compression. If water is not coming from risers or manafolds or head gasket where could it be coming from? I found a very small amount of water in the oil. Very small. I think I'm approching this problem in the vey early stages so its very hard to determine. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 09-26-2006, 12:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Intake gasket leak would next on my list.

Quick Reply: Gil Exhaust

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.