Winterizing question - good enough?? >

Winterizing question - good enough??

Notices

Winterizing question - good enough??

Old 11-06-2006, 08:15 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winterizing question - good enough??

What do you think -

I am thinking of winterizing my motor this way:

Run on hose water till hot and thermostat open.
Then immediatly switch over to run 4 gal of 50/50 antifreeze. (good antifreeze - Banfrost 2000)
While the bucket of 50/50 is draining, I'll pour 4 more gallons of 100% antifreeze which will make it stronger as it displaces water, and then fog motor just before antifreeze runs dry.

That way I'll have run about 8 gallons of anti freeze thru the motor. Will that be enough to displace all the water? What do you Northern guys think?

I don't want to drain the block because I just spent hours contorting my body (and Rogman's) getting into "no mans land" areas of the bilge. The bilge (and motors) is SO clean, it looks like it just came f/ the factory. Thus I don't want to dump anything into it.

Will this be enough??

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 11-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Winterizing question - good enough??

Originally Posted by BillR
What do you think -

I am thinking of winterizing my motor this way:

Run on hose water till hot and thermostat open.
Then immediatly switch over to run 4 gal of 50/50 antifreeze. (good antifreeze - Banfrost 2000)
While the bucket of 50/50 is draining, I'll pour 4 more gallons of 100% antifreeze which will make it stronger as it displaces water, and then fog motor just before antifreeze runs dry.

That way I'll have run about 8 gallons of anti freeze thru the motor. Will that be enough to displace all the water? What do you Northern guys think?

I don't want to drain the block because I just spent hours contorting my body (and Rogman's) getting into "no mans land" areas of the bilge. The bilge (and motors) is SO clean, it looks like it just came f/ the factory. Thus I don't want to dump anything into it.

Will this be enough??
no you must dig all the sand & mud out of the block drain the water, mud & sand.. then fill with antifreeze.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Registered

you should be fine thats what i do...be sure antifreeze is blowing out the headers & the block is full... I do drain the water out of everything first just to be sure.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:05 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
no you must dig all the sand & mud out of the block drain the water, mud & sand.. then fill with antifreeze.
engines only have 53 hours since rebuild. When rebuilt, there was little to ne debris in block so I doubt there is much there now.
Block was fully cleaned at time of rebuild.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 11-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Winterizing question - good enough??

Yup I drained my block after running the boat for ten minutes,when I went to drain the block the port side plug was out thats how much sand and muck can get in. I only had the boat out for test runs this year put five hours on it . but one of the days we were at a sand bar and the drive was just touching the sand so we moved it out 15ft but we must of dragged the low water pick up through the sand . and blocked up the water drain plug . so thats why you should drain the motor every year. and I pull all the hoses off the coolers to to make sure there is no water sitting. and will take the headers off taking motor out to repaint and clean bilge and have some glass work done.
Old 11-07-2006, 05:24 AM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using 100% un mixed anti freeze is a poor idea and may damage your equipment, it will freeze before a proper mix and also looses its rust inhibitor properties. Link to Peak anti freeze site below it will answer any questions, don't believe the BS artists.

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/faq.html#I
Old 11-07-2006, 06:51 AM
Registered

That Should Be Fine Bill I Been Doing That For Years
Maybe Add Alittle Salt Away In The Anti-freeze ...
Old 11-07-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by MOP
Using 100% un mixed anti freeze is a poor idea and may damage your equipment, it will freeze before a proper mix and also looses its rust inhibitor properties.
He's using Banfrost 2000. That -100* pink antifreeze. absolutly okay to use that straight.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I used to run the 100degree pink or blue thru the motor, fog it out,shut the battery switch,put on the winter cover and go inside till spring.........never had a problem and the batteries would still start her up in April ERIC May actually do the same thing to my new formula.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Registered

if you drain the block and manifolds 1 gallon of -100 is plenty have been doing it that way for 10 years (700-1000 boats a year) in Wi.

Quick Reply: Winterizing question - good enough??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.