Trim Tabs for Scarab 22 >

Trim Tabs for Scarab 22

Notices

Trim Tabs for Scarab 22

Old 11-09-2006, 03:08 PM
NoQuarter

Default Trim Tabs for Scarab 22

Hello,

I was planning to upgrade to maybe an Active Thunder 28 Savage, but I'm getting pressure to upgrade the house first. Probably a good decision, but...

Anyway, I once saw what I thought was about a 20' Cigarette with these huge trim tabs, about 2-1/2 feet long. Would this increase running surface and make the boat ride bigger?

Trying to think up things to get through one more season with this size boat.

Any viewpoints on the Extra-Long tabs would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom

Old 11-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trim Tabs for Scarab 22

Yes, for sure. Especially on smaller boats. I've have seen numerous smaller boats that can't usually and comfortably handle the Gulf on some days (and the Gulf is relatively flat in comparison to the Atlantic) that were outfitted with large tabs and the difference was amazing. Of course it is going to cost some bucks but would be worth it to smooth out your ride a bit and give you better control in conditions that may be less than ideal for that size boat.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you have a problems with waves in
Orono, Minnesota?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Banned

I do know the more tab you drag, the slower you will go.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Just be careful running long tabs on a short LOA boat.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:41 PM
NoQuarter

1BIGJIM,

Great post! LOL!

No 2'-4' swells, but huge wakes, running in every direction. Man, you get beat up in this boat, even at 30 mph! I'm having the seat bottoms re-done with more padding... I'm probably dreaming that I can get this boat to ride bigger... It has served well, but after six seasons I'm ready to get a real offshore boat.

I had never even been on a boat before I bought this one... I grew up less than poor. An enlistment in the U.S. Army gave me three GUARENTEED sqaures a day and a college education, I guess I got a late start, but I kind-of been building ever since. I am way out of my league with most of the guys I read about on this site... in money and knowledge, but I love this **** more than than I can find words to describe. I have learned a ton from offshoreonly.

Need to get the wife happy with an upgraded home... I'll be back at it chasing a used Active Thunder 28 Savage in early 2008.

I appreciate everyones input.

Thank you,

Tom

Old 11-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been asking some questions about this same thing on my 23' Checkmate lately....

I'm looking to run a bigger tab (24") mounted parallel with the water for some better rough water handling..

The point that's come up is when jumping the boat off of a wave the tab may hit the wave causing the bow to stuff into the next wave...... Any thoughts on this????

Thanks,

Doug
Old 11-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Registered

I would normally invest only in a Bennett style tab for your size boat. I believe they will give you everything you need. Merc tabs are much stronger and larger, but at 3-4 times the cost.The trim pumps alone cost what the Bennett system will cost you. Plus, when you trade up, your investment won't hurt so much as it pulls out of the drive for the last time with the new owner. On the other hand, if you have big bucks invested in power and drive, the high speeds might better use the stronger tabs. It's all relative.

The Bennetts should do just fine on your boat. Installation is much less painful than the Mercs also.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put 110S K-planes on my 22 Scarab. This is the only pick I have of both tabs. I know it's dirty I had just come home after running it for a week in Lake George. Doug
Attached Thumbnails Trim Tabs for Scarab 22-100_0184-small-.jpg   Trim Tabs for Scarab 22-100_0182-small-.jpg