Stroking an HP500 to a 540.

Notices

Stroking an HP500 to a 540.

Old 11-20-2006, 01:49 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stroking an HP500 to a 540.

Can anyone tell we what this would entail? I have a pair of HP500's that need to come apart to have the CAM bearings replaced. Is stroking the motor a good option at this point? I've just replaced the Heads, Intakes, Cams & Ignitions so I'd hate to see all this go to waste. I was planning on replacing the carbs this winter anyways but I was told that I might be able to release some extra HP by stroking the motors to 540's...
Old 11-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Stroking an HP500 to a 540.

new crank, and probably a new cam for the cubes.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blue by You
Can anyone tell we what this would entail? I have a pair of HP500's that need to come apart to have the CAM bearings replaced. Is stroking the motor a good option at this point? I've just replaced the Heads, Intakes, Cams & Ignitions so I'd hate to see all this go to waste. I was planning on replacing the carbs this winter anyways but I was told that I might be able to release some extra HP by stroking the motors to 540's...
Check out http://www.speedomotive.com/
I bought a 427 stroker kit for my Bronco a few years back.
Very knowledgeable

Last edited by DRIPPINWETII; 11-20-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:19 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

You'll need your block clearanced, line honed, bored and decked. New crank and pistons, possibly a new cam. Why put it back together with the same pistons and not bore it? If you've got it apart you might as well go all the way. Go with a solid roller while you're at it too, that's good for a couple of more ponies. Now you're talking a 548 stroker with a big solid roller cam, 700hp should be easy to get at that point.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:30 PM
FIERCE ALLEGIANCE
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BADKACHINA
You'll need your block clearanced, line honed, bored and decked. New crank and pistons, possibly a new cam. Why put it back together with the same pistons and not bore it? If you've got it apart you might as well go all the way. Go with a solid roller while you're at it too, that's good for a couple of more ponies. Now you're talking a 548 stroker with a big solid roller cam, 700hp should be easy to get at that point.
Care to give a guess on the cost for doing this? The CAMS are the 731 right now and the lifters were changed to solid roller at the first rebuild.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Care to give a guess on the cost for doing this? The CAMS are the 731 right now and the lifters were changed to solid roller at the first rebuild.

I'm having one done now buy a builder here in town, I think I'm looking in the 9k range with head and carb work as well. Thats all new internals, new pan, port work on the heads with all new hardware. He swears by Comp stuff and won't use any one elses. I may do a crank trigger too. This is for a blower application though, maybe your pistons and rotating assembly could be a little cheaper? I would say you should be in the 5k range with just doing the bottom end????
Old 11-20-2006, 04:56 PM
Registered

No offense BadKachina, but I wouldn't touch a solid roller with a ten ft pole. If you just love taking the valve covers off I guess it doesn't matter. The difference in power should not be that much.

Yes, you can get more RPM and power but at what cost ? Ask others on this site what they think of solid roller cams.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

It looks like all your previous upgrades are matched toward a mild upgrade of the hp500. Stroking it to a 540 will require changing most of the same stuff you did already to achieve maximum benefits from the ci increase.

You said you replaced the heads.....with what heads???????They may work well or may not depending on what you have.

The 731 is only a slight increase over stock. You will need more cam for a 540. Also, I highly doubt you have solid roller lifters with that cam. No reason to go with a solid roller unless you want to spin more than 5800rpms or so. Plenty of hyd rollers will make plenty of HP. There is also no reason to replace the stock carbs on your current set up.

Personally, I would look into supercharging before stroking it. A lot more HP to be gained vs the $$$ spent.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:16 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by deboatmon
No offense BadKachina, but I wouldn't touch a solid roller with a ten ft pole. If you just love taking the valve covers off I guess it doesn't matter. The difference in power should not be that much.

Yes, you can get more RPM and power but at what cost ? Ask others on this site what they think of solid roller cams.

Worst case scenario is you have to adjust your valves every season.
Ever notice that when you first launch your boat it runs it's fastest? I've heard that with hydraulic roller, you'll get less lift as your oil gets aerated and hotter later in the day. The understanding I had was that as you drive around, and your oil gets bounced around in the pan, it gets more air in it, which lets it compress in the lifters. You end up bleeding off 3 or 4 mph later the day. How much would each of us pay for 3 or 4 mph? I could be wrong, maybe someone will chime in. Maybe I'm wasting my time putting a solid roller in?
Old 11-20-2006, 05:20 PM
Masher touches my
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Griff
Personally, I would look into supercharging before stroking it. A lot more HP to be gained vs the $$$ spent.
Whipple's hp500 set up isn't cheap either. You probably would gain more hp for the buck but what kind of reliability would you have? You would end up going through the motor anyways in shorter period of time. Your clearances, comp ratio and cam aren't set up for a blower. Just my .02 but build it strong first and if you want to put a blower on it, set it up that way from the get go.

Quick Reply: Stroking an HP500 to a 540.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.