Bravo rebuilding guru's ????

Notices

Bravo rebuilding guru's ????

Old 11-22-2006, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bravo rebuilding guru's ????

Hey guys,

I'm assembling a complete set of Merc. tools so I can perform my own mataince on my bravo one drives.I see in the book they list a lot of bearing drivers and seal drivers.Is there a kit made by Snap-on or some one that would have the correct sizes in it to do these tasks?Or are they specific to Merc.?Just seems that Merc. wants a ton of money for each size driver I would need to replace races in the upper and lower housings if need be.Any one have any tools theyt they made and or use some thing else that works well?Also has any one found a better or cheaper place to order the merc.tools from?How about aftermarket tools?

Thanks in advance
Nordic95
Old 11-22-2006, 02:06 PM
NoQuarter

Default Re: Bravo rebuilding guru's ????

There is a Snap-on puller kit(several pieces) for the top seal. It's like $495. Not sure if this works for the coupler bearing and seal. The Merc Service manual gives the part number. I can get it for you if you need it.

The rest of the tools I needed all came from Merc. The only thing I made was a puller for the drive-shaft bellows pressure flange.

Old 11-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998
There is a Snap-on puller kit(several pieces) for the top seal. It's like $495. Not sure if this works for the coupler bearing and seal. The Merc Service manual gives the part number. I can get it for you if you need it.

The rest of the tools I needed all came from Merc. The only thing I made was a puller for the drive-shaft bellows pressure flange.
Thanks Scarab but I had already purchased the puller from Merc. with the attachments for the coupler bearing and seals.I need the drivers to install the races.

Nordic95
Old 11-23-2006, 10:17 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nordic,
The Merc tools work the best, there are some that need mods depending on the model you are working on. The bearing race drivers nice pieces that will last a long time if not misused..
Hope this helps.
Dick

PS.. having troubles with my email account. I have been trying to reply to your email..

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 11-23-2006 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:26 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I made all mine for the lower unit rebuild. I wasn't to keen on Mercs price for the tools either that I was just looking for the 1 time use. Actually improved on the upper race installer. I made mine with a guide to make sure it was started straight in the bore.
Might look into this site as they have some better pricing.
http://www.mercstuff.com/parts.htm

Just a couple of them:

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:34 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking pieces, US1!!! I bet you have access to a lathe!! I have some home made tools myself.. But they are not as nice looking as yours..
Old 11-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Might say that. CNC is a beautiful thing. I'm a happy camper.

Tool & die maker by trade. Currently 'just' a machinist making projects for them dang Purdue nuclear and aeronautical students. Great thing is, 90% of the projects are SS, so we have tons of SS scrap laying around.
Can't get any of my stuff done having to work on students stuff. But I somehow manage.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2006, 03:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Might say that. CNC is a beautiful thing. I'm a happy camper.

Tool & die maker by trade. Currently 'just' a machinist making projects for them dang Purdue nuclear and aeronautical students. Great thing is, 90% of the projects are SS, so we have tons of SS scrap laying around.
Can't get any of my stuff done having to work on students stuff. But I somehow manage.

Thanks
US1,you are the MAN with those tools.I really,really kick myself in the a$$,for 25 years I had a machine shop across the street from me.The guy who owned it hired all the local kids to work in the shop.I would never work there because the pay was not so good,but now I WISH I had worked there just to learn how to machine and run the tools.A couple of years ago the man retired and gave away all his shop equipment and moved to Florida.Again I had no idea that I could learn from his knowledge and expertise,KICK,KICK.

Nordic95
Old 11-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Nordic,
The Merc tools work the best, there are some that need mods depending on the model you are working on. The bearing race drivers nice pieces that will last a long time if not misused..
Hope this helps.
Dick

PS.. having troubles with my email account. I have been trying to reply to your email..
You can try me at [email protected] or call me at 1-973-853-7270

Thanks Nordic95
Old 11-24-2006, 05:33 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The main tool I had trouble with the vertical shaft bearing race installer.The merc coller made it easy ,the rest was pretty much threaded allrod.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.