TRS trim cylinder rams >

TRS trim cylinder rams

Notices

TRS trim cylinder rams

Old 12-02-2006, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TRS trim cylinder rams

I had some corrosion issues with trim cylinders this summer and am looking to replace at least one that failed at a hose fitting. The correct part is 87411A3 / 87412A3. I have seen an older style ram (87173) which looks identical, same measurements, and hoses etc. Will this ram work with the TRS? Are there any interchangable part numbers for the TRS rams?

I have the newer style external line rams (low pressure). If anyone has any used, please let me know.

Thanks

Todd

[email protected]
Old 12-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: TRS trim cylinder rams

Upon closer inspection....it seems all are bad. Mostly due to corrosion at the hose fittings. Stainless threads from the hoses threading into the aluminum casing. As soon as I turned the fittings the casting went to powder.

Has anyone ever been able to repair this type of damage by drilling out the casing to good metal and installing new hydraulic fittings? (a suggestion by a friend) I'm not sure that would work on this application. It looks like at least the casings will need to be replaced.

no more storage in salt water for this boat while I own it. I thought I did enough to protect everything from damage. The drives look ok, but the trim suffered.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Drill & tap 1/8 pipe, use a brass inverted flare adapter (should be able to get them at NAPA) better than new.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:40 AM
Registered

Thanks, I will definitely try that. What is inside the existing fittings? Do they just end on the inside of the casing or is there internal plumbing? The diagram in the TRS service manual seems to show an internal type of short pipe which runs to the open chamber between the ends of the ram on the inside?

I would imagine that one would want to remove the internals of the ram before drilling out the fittings

Here is a pic of what I am dealing with....this is the worst of it, the other rams are better. I'm not sure I can drill this one. The damage to the casing seems to extend pretty wide from the old threaded area, but I'll give it a try. I have plenty of winter to play at my work bench it seems.
Attached Thumbnails TRS trim cylinder rams-dsc01006.jpg   TRS trim cylinder rams-dsc01007.jpg  
Old 12-18-2006, 08:45 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Boy, that one is bad. There is nothing on the inside, it's just a hole.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Marc: Are the new cases still available?

Do you guys still have decal kits for TRS?

Jon
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stinger390
Thanks, I will definitely try that. What is inside the existing fittings? Do they just end on the inside of the casing or is there internal plumbing? The diagram in the TRS service manual seems to show an internal type of short pipe which runs to the open chamber between the ends of the ram on the inside?

I would imagine that one would want to remove the internals of the ram before drilling out the fittings

Here is a pic of what I am dealing with....this is the worst of it, the other rams are better. I'm not sure I can drill this one. The damage to the casing seems to extend pretty wide from the old threaded area, but I'll give it a try. I have plenty of winter to play at my work bench it seems.
I've repaired them in the past with a 1/8" pipe thread adapter.... but you don't have enough there to work with... I'd junk them and look for good used ones or buy new.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Stinger I may have a bunch of them for sale soon if you can not find what you need.

Jon
Old 12-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Yes, the tubes are still available, but by the time you get an overhaul kit, new endcap & tube a complete cylinder starts to make sense.

Decal set is available also, but Merc is very proud of them. \n
TRS parts are here:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selec...?doc_nbr=76022
Old 12-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Registered

Yea, that one is really bad and not repairable. The others are much better so I'll see. I pulled it appart and understand better how it works now.

Jon...definitely interested. I have been looking for a while now. I prefer good used to new since they push $500 ea. Even empty cases are ok since my internals are all good.

let me know....

Todd

[email protected]