Minor out drive dillema >

Minor out drive dillema

Notices

Minor out drive dillema

Old 12-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Minor out drive dillema

I removed the back plate from the out drive. While I was cleaning the ball/detent mechanism I accidentally pushed the piece that the spring loaded ball fits into, to the right. I'm assuming that put the OD in gear.

I can not get the piece to go back to center (neutral ?). Is there a way to get back to neutral ? And if not, after finishing cleaning things up and lubing, can I, or should I, just put the back plate back on, and get it back to neutral in the spring when the out drive goes back on ??

Thanks !!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Minor out drive dillema

Move the propshaft back and forth whilts trying to move the fork back, if I member coreckly .

BT
Old 12-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Registered

Thanks Dave. Tried that, but I'll try it again.....If it dosen't work put the plate back on? I understand it's tough to get back to neutral without the engine running.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blue thunder
Move the propshaft back and forth whilts trying to move the fork back, if I member coreckly .

BT
Got it. Moved the prop shaft and drive shaft until I got center.

Thanks again BT
Old 12-10-2006, 01:26 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Kid,
The next time that happens. The easy way is to turn the motor over with the kill switch pulled so it doesnt start. It wont turn over unless you have the shift lever in Neutral. If you pull the cotter pin from the transistion block and pull the cable out (with the barrel on it) you can then move the shifter to center and hit the key. This will turn the motor over and you can have someone slide the end of the shift cable so it moves the shift linkage in the drive. The input shaft has to be moving in order for a bravo to shift. Some times you can get it to go back to neutral, but most of the time you have to turn the input shaft.

Hope this helps

Dick
Old 12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Hey Kid,
The next time that happens. The easy way is to turn the motor over with the kill switch pulled so it doesnt start. It wont turn over unless you have the shift lever in Neutral. If you pull the cotter pin from the transistion block and pull the cable out (with the barrel on it) you can then move the shifter to center and hit the key. This will turn the motor over and you can have someone slide the end of the shift cable so it moves the shift linkage in the drive. The input shaft has to be moving in order for a bravo to shift. Some times you can get it to go back to neutral, but most of the time you have to turn the input shaft.

Hope this helps

Dick
Engine and out drive are out of the boat. I turned the both the input and prop shafts while keeping pressure on the shift mechanism, eventually got back to neutral.

I'll remember your advice for the next time I phuk up

Thanks Mr. G
Old 12-11-2006, 04:54 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Your welcome!! LOL