Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Having some work done-$$ sound fair? >

Having some work done-$$ sound fair?

Notices

Having some work done-$$ sound fair?

Old 01-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having some work done-$$ sound fair?

I've got a 93 carbed 502 in a 27 ft powerquest. To make a long story short, the motor leaned out and hung up a valve. The newly rebuilt shortblock is ok. One of the heads needs to be replaced(rect. port). I will also be upgrading to a hyd. roller set up with roller rockers, springs,pushrods, etc. Heads will have inconnel valves, no porting. A new holley carb and intake will reside on top. The log manifolds will be replaced with some type of ported sport tubes that they say they have had good luck with.( I'm assuming these are the newer stock bravo manifolds.) Installed and tuned with a one season warranty for $9500.
I'm new to boating. Most of my experience with motors comes from drag racing. I'm experiencing a little sticker shot. Does that number fall in line with what a good shop would charge?
Tom
Old 01-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Re: Having some work done-$$ sound fair?

That's a tad pricey. Shop around.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:39 PM
Registered

The shop charges $95/hr. For my area, that's not outrageous, but probably the high side of normal. When I add up those parts it seems like an awful lot left over for labor. Is there that much involved on the labor end to justify the number? I'd sure like to hear from some of the guys who have done similar work.
Tom
Old 01-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Knowing what kind of exhaust you are getting would help. Most aftermarket are about 2000.00. Rebuilt heads w/valves 1500.00. Hyd. roller cam with all required parts 1200.00. New carb and intake 1000.00. R & Ring engine with possible custom work required 1000.00. Small parts such as gaskets etc.300.00. I come up with 7000.00 but in my area 75.00 is more like the going rate. If this doesn't include new aftermarket exhaust, it's way too much.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Think Thats A Little High.

I Did My 454 Complete Rebuild This Summer New Pistons,cam,aluminum Heads,carb,intake,full Roller Conversion And new manifolds The Only Things Left Stock Were The Block And Crank And I Was Just Over 6k With Machine Work, I Pulled And Installed My Self.

I HAVE A FEW MORE THING TO DO TO MAKE THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT LOOK GOOD BUT ITS GETTING THERE.
Attached Thumbnails Having some work done-$$ sound fair?-engine2.jpg   Having some work done-$$ sound fair?-engine3.jpg   Having some work done-$$ sound fair?-engine4.jpg  

Last edited by BY U BOY; 01-20-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrophilic
I've got a 93 carbed 502 in a 27 ft powerquest. To make a long story short, the motor leaned out and hung up a valve. The newly rebuilt shortblock is ok. One of the heads needs to be replaced(rect. port). I will also be upgrading to a hyd. roller set up with roller rockers, springs,pushrods, etc. Heads will have inconnel valves, no porting. A new holley carb and intake will reside on top. The log manifolds will be replaced with some type of ported sport tubes that they say they have had good luck with.( I'm assuming these are the newer stock bravo manifolds.) Installed and tuned with a one season warranty for $9500.
I'm new to boating. Most of my experience with motors comes from drag racing. I'm experiencing a little sticker shot. Does that number fall in line with what a good shop would charge?
Tom
Not counting the exhaust I would say they are about $4,000 to tall. I had a complete rebuild pistons, full roller valve train and cam, heads, valves, rps bolts balance you name it for $5500 labor included. This is a blower motor going on three years no problems and over 200 hours. Do some shopping.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:39 PM
Registered

Check out the OSO classified section. I just purchased a complete rebuilt 502 MPI complete ready to drop in from Byron at Davis Farm and Auto. He's a boating guy and built a gen 6 motor for me. I have only run the motor on a hose but it ran good and looks great. you will spend less money and can sell what you have as no core charge is required. He was a great guy to work with.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 502MPI mag .... ALL fresh ... New Forged Rods and Pistons 500 efi Cam .. Crane roller Rockers ...7000.00 .... .. you'll love the fuel injection ....m

[email protected]
Old 09-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Registered

I recently got a gen 6 502 mag efi complete turn key motor from Byron the guy is excellent