Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Exhaust Blocking Plate question >

Exhaust Blocking Plate question

Notices

Exhaust Blocking Plate question

Old 01-25-2007, 02:54 PM
NoQuarter

Default Exhaust Blocking Plate question

In going from a Corsa 50/50 exhaust setup to straight thru-hull, I understand you need to use a blocking plate on the transum. But, what about the outdrive? Do you have to switch to an outdrive without the exhaust bellow inlet?

Old 01-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Default Re: Exhaust Blocking Plate question

no...just the plate to keep the water from getting into the boat....the exhaust flows water through it normally when its running anyway so you dont have to worry about anything

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im thinking about doing that to my system too. How do you go about blocking the exhaust that routs through the y pipe to the prop?
Old 01-25-2007, 03:56 PM
NoQuarter

Originally Posted by Wally
no...just the plate to keep the water from getting into the boat....the exhaust flows water through it normally when its running anyway so you dont have to worry about anything
Thanks Wally,

I don't think I asked my question correctly...

I understand that by leaving the outdrive exhaust bellow outlet open, that water won't come into the boat or get into the drive shaft/gears, etc... Moreover, while on plane the hole would be higher than the water, so water wouldn't come in. But, during climb out and coming off of plane water would enter the hole. Would this put lots of pressure on the drive? Could this possibly make it more difficult to get on plane?

What have others done that went from 50/50 exhaust to straight thru-hull?

Sorry for the length, and thanks!

Old 01-25-2007, 03:58 PM
NoQuarter

Originally Posted by pol98xc6
Im thinking about doing that to my system too. How do you go about blocking the exhaust that routs through the y pipe to the prop?
They make an exhaust blocking plate that fits a mercrusier transum plate. Not really sure, but I think you have to remove the transum and have it welded into place.

I'm sure someone else will chime in and know more.

Old 01-25-2007, 04:24 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Scarab22-1998
They make an exhaust blocking plate that fits a mercrusier transum plate. Not really sure, but I think you have to remove the transum and have it welded into place.

I'm sure someone else will chime in and know more.

The block off plate bolts on to the area on the transom plate the y pipe connected to....no welding.

here's a picture:

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...=EXHUAST+PLATE

The engine has to be removed to get to the y pipe bolts.

If you have straight through hull exhaust, you can remove the
exhaust bellow on the transom assy . ( the bellow underneath the u-joint bellow)

You won't have any issues with planing or load on the drive.

Last edited by JaayTeee; 01-25-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered

Is that the easiest way to block the bottom of the y pipe(taking the engine out)? Ive been thinking about it and I dont think its worth spending 1k for captains call if all I really want is 100% thru hull!
Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by pol98xc6
Is that the easiest way to block the bottom of the y pipe(taking the engine out)? Ive been thinking about it and I dont think its worth spending 1k for captains call if all I really want is 100% thru hull!
I've seen people install plugs on each side of
the bellow atop the y pipe.

I've even seen some take a piece of an inner tube
and hose clamp it around the top of each side of the
y-pipe
Old 01-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Just did this last year. There is a block off plate with 5, 12 pt. bolts that goes onto the hole where the Y pipe attached. Dealers and manufacturers add it for through hull exhaust when they remove the Y pipe. No gasket, just a good anaerobic sealant (Yamabond) between the plate and hole and you are good to go. There is no other modification that needs to be made. I did the opposite last year as I added Silent choice to my normal through hull. You may be able to get to it without the engine out but I doubt it very much. You want to make darn sure you get a good clean seal.
[email protected]. Greg.

Last edited by ghittner; 01-26-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:30 AM
Registered

ghitter is on the money.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Blocking Plate question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.