Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Drilling hole in transom of Sonic 31ss?? >

Drilling hole in transom of Sonic 31ss??

Notices

Drilling hole in transom of Sonic 31ss??

Old 01-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Drilling hole in transom of Sonic 31ss??

I want to install the Livorsi drive actuators and the current hole for my drive hydraulic mount actuator is to low and off to the side. I need the hole higher and closed to the drive.

How thick is the transom? What will I be drilliing through, wood, glass, anything else? Metal?

What's the best way of drilling in on an angle? Drill in straight 1/4" and then start angling up?

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 01-27-2007, 11:32 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Drilling hole in transom of Sonic 31ss??

You will have about 1 1/2" of plywood plus the glass on either side. Some have glass between the layers of wood.

Use a hole saw and do not turn it to fast. If you turn it fast then you will burn up the teeth on the saw. If you have a regular drill bit that is large enough then you can use that as well.

Look on the inside of the transom before you drill to make sure that you are going to clear everything inside and that the cable will be able to bend smoothly with out kinking.

The angle depends on the cable holder that you have. Mine was angled so I drilled at an angle.

Make sure that you cover the wood on the inside with epoxy/polyester resin.

Jon
Old 01-27-2007, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use a drill bit. 7/16. buy a decent bezel or cable cover. i use the stainless steel angle bezel with the compressable rubber seal. its available from either livorsi or c.p performance. after drilling hot coat as stated above.

good luck
Old 01-30-2007, 06:09 AM
Registered

Thanks for the reply! Appreciate it!

I found the stainless angled cable parts at Livorsi... not cheap! 45 degree angle.

Question: Hot coating?? Epoxy/poly resin. I have both white marine epoxy in a tube and I also have resin w/hardener. I plan to epoxy both sides of the transom after I have cable installed. Is it correct to say I should coat the hole right after drilling and before cable is routed with either epoxy or resin? Then I should go with a little larger diameter hole....

800 bucks to change the direction of my trim indicators with the new Livorsi actuators.... eeeeek! I currently have the drive cylinder mount type actuators which gives you reverse reading on the dash panel. Once done, then I'll have peice of mind when trying to balance the two drives when running....
Old 01-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes on the resin. mix it with slightly more hardener and coat the inside of the cable hole you drilled. attached is a pic of an exhaust hole done this way.
i would put tape around the area on the transom near hole to prevent spillage or dripping. than cover the hole , fill it with the mix, let it saturate for a minute, then remove tape you covered hole with. catch excess resin, then run a small brush soaked with the resin thru the hole in a plunging fasion.
once you install cable use a little adhesive silicone on the inside and out side of transom to seal hole.
Attached Thumbnails Drilling hole in transom of Sonic 31ss??-shop-pics-011.jpg  
Old 01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Registered

Thanks for the assistance! Want to be sure I do this the right way. Now just have to wait for the livorsi parts to arrive, drill the hole and do my thing rigging and fabricating the new dash with the new indicator.

Thanks again!