Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Speedmaster #3's and #2's TRS's????? >

Speedmaster #3's and #2's TRS's?????

Notices

Speedmaster #3's and #2's TRS's?????

Old 01-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speedmaster #3's and #2's TRS's?????

I am a newb around here but I am looking for a little help with some drive questions. I have been looking at boats since I am in the market for a new to me performance boat. I have been looking at older Cig's and some Fountians but it seams like around 1986 to 1991 you could ge everything from a TRS to a speedmaster 2 or 3 or up to a bravo 1. speaking in terms of years

So my question is this does the older Speedmaster #2 fit up to a TRS gimble housing or a heavy duty version of a TRS gimble housing? Basicly what I am trying to get at is can a speedmaster 2 swap onto TRS Transome Parts.

I also wonder what kind things will i get into swaping TRS for Speedmaster 3's

not alot of info on this that I can find sorry for the bad jumbled post its late and I can't sleep with this spinning in my head.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Registered

Default Re: Speedmaster #3's and #2's TRS's?????

Yes SSM II will bolt directly to the TRS gimbal. But this will result in the drive height being WAY wrong. And IIs are virtually non existant, as are parts for it. So forget about IIs.
I've done the change to IIIs. Very big job. Do a seach here for details.
TRS was discontinued years ago and parts could start to get scarce in the future. But unlike IIs, Merc made A LOT of TRSs, so they'll be around a while.
Gary
Old 01-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Registered

Ok Gary thanks for the input after seaching I can see that #2s are not an option and after countless ours I have read that the 2 won't handle the power I will be using. I am going to look into more of the #3s. Are parts still avalible for the 3's. Granted parts may not be an issue as long as they are not pounded on.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Konrad Marine makes a direct bolt-on replacement for the Merc TRS. Do a search on Konrad and you'll find a whole lot of info on here. Re-rigging to the Speedmaster III is a tremendous amount of work. Parts for the Speedy III are pretty scarce too.

The Konrad can handle 750-800 hp with ease.

www.konradmarine.com

[email protected]
Old 01-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cobra performance has parts for the #3. They advertise here. Very good drive ok to 900 hp. Jas
Old 01-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Just my 2 cents from finacial perspective.

If you are getting started into these boats, and you are considering a TRS boat for a starter. Stay with the TRS Drives. Unless you plane on making the costly upgrade to a bravo or a Konrad and keeping the boat forever, THere is no reson to try to upgrade. You will never sell the boat and get your investment back, unless you pick the boat up for around half of what it would sell for with the upgrades.

TRS parts are out there. I stockpile them myself for my boat. I havn't needed them yet, but who knows.

Shop around and find a good deal on a well maintained TRS boat. Make sure the hull surveys well. Take good care of it and don't kill it. Learn how to drive, manuver and maintain. You can learn a lot from a TRS boat.

Sell it in a couple of years and you probably won't loose to much cash except for your maintenance. You'll have maintenance on any drive, and could potentially break any drive.

Then when you have more money and experience, buy a bigger better boat.

There is nothing worse than seeing the brand new boat with a big ass scratch down the side because it's owner doesn't know how to handles it. On an older boat, you don't mind a little paint work.

Jsut my opinion. Good luck with your new hobby. You will love it like the rest of us.

Oh and if you are woried about the power, Call Earl at Huber Marine in Baton Rouge. There is a web site. All #2's, 3's, TRS's, Konrads, ets... still need the trannie. He can build one as strong as you want and always makes time to answer questions.