Mounting alpha gen 2 on gen 1 transom >

Mounting alpha gen 2 on gen 1 transom

Notices

Mounting alpha gen 2 on gen 1 transom

Old 01-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting alpha gen 2 on gen 1 transom

I'm temporarily mounting a gen 2 alpha on a boat that has a gen 1 transom. So far everything has went on fine. I have been told from a few sourses that this will work as long as you plug the oil fill hole. I have ran into one problem...
The upper shift shaft on the bell housing is to short. I was wondering if anyone knows if the gen 2 upper shift shaft is longer than the gen 1. Mabey someone has had experence with this and could help?
Thanks
Old 01-29-2007, 11:14 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mounting alpha gen 2 on gen 1 transom

Originally Posted by superiormgmtco
I'm temporarily mounting a gen 2 alpha on a boat that has a gen 1 transom. So far everything has went on fine. I have been told from a few sourses that this will work as long as you plug the oil fill hole. I have ran into one problem...
The upper shift shaft on the bell housing is to short. I was wondering if anyone knows if the gen 2 upper shift shaft is longer than the gen 1. Mabey someone has had experence with this and could help?
Thanks

They are different. J
Old 01-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Everything I have read states you cannot swap a gen 2 onto a alpha 1 bellhousing. Off the top of my head, the gimball ring bolt patterns are different. The bolt pattern onto the transom is the same but that's about it.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:24 PM
Registered

here is a link where some guys had successfully done the change out.
I plan on attempting to put this gen 2 on my alpha 1 transom. I'm waiting on the gen 2 upper shift shaft to come in right now. this link is from Donzi

donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26050&highlight=alpha+ss+gen+II+t ransom[/url]

you have to add the www to the begining to make the link work. I have not had 15 posts
Old 01-29-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered

That old gen1 transom has got to be loose as a goose by now. Why not just put the right transom on it and be done? It's not that much money, I bought 2 last year for like 1300 ea.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:31 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

I'v done this. All you have to do is weld a small stainless steel block on the top of the shifter shaft thats coming out of the lower unit,the size is the difference between the bottom of the alpha 1 shifter shoe ond the top of the shifter shaft coming up from the lower unit on the gen 2. It's the stainless steel shat that looks like the letter (L) upside down.The hole in the gen 2 flang that bolts to the alpha 1 bell is only for the remote oil tank. You dont need it, just check your oil in the top of the drive. And you can weld it on without taking it apart.But cool it after you weld,but with air not water.And I don't remember,but i think I changed the trim rams to alpha 2s but not positive.I sold the boat 4 years ago and the guys still got the gen 2 on it and working fine.I did it cause I couldn't find a gen 1 with the right gear ratio. Just my 2 cents JOHN