Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Which GPS Unit Should I Be Looking At... >

Which GPS Unit Should I Be Looking At...

Notices

Which GPS Unit Should I Be Looking At...

Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which GPS Unit Should I Be Looking At...

I am looking at getting a GPS unit and really don't want a hand held. I have looked at the ones with the 3" screens that mount on a mounting base. I really don't want to put holes in the fiberglass for a cheesy black plastic mount. If it was polished billet it might be worth it.

Of course the larger 5" or 6" screen units that mount in the dash are the cool but where to put it is the problem.

I have thought about taking out my useless glovebox and making a larger polished billet plate to flush mount the larger 5"/6" unit in and I would also have room to mount my ipod as well.

Although I am limited on space for mounting a in-dash unit, that is what I really would like but...

I have included a couple of pictures of my dash. Any ideas or pictures of what others have done?

Brands to look at... Garmin, Lowrance, Horizon, others ???
Attached Thumbnails Which GPS Unit Should I Be Looking At...-port-medium-.jpg   Which GPS Unit Should I Be Looking At...-star-medium-.jpg  
Old 02-11-2007, 04:01 PM
Registered

Anybody...

The Garmin website has all new units and numbers so now I am even more confused...
Old 02-12-2007, 06:05 AM
Registered

I went through the same issue. Didn't really want to mount up on top of the dash with a base mount. Fortunately, I had enough space on the dash to get a small Lowrance unit built in. So much more stable when cruising, allows easy viewing and hitting the buttons. You could get a nice sized one in that glovebox area, my only question is if you will be happy with it being in the passenger dash rather than in front of you???
Old 02-12-2007, 06:48 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is exactly why I went with the one that mounts on top of the dash. Mine is the old 176c. They now use a new number for the same size model with better features. I didn't want to hace to reach across the boat to change something or to rely on my passenger to change it for me. Mine has the fold down antena and one cord fed thru the dash for power and a signal to my GPS speedo. I can unplug the cord and throw it in the cabin if we are tieing up for luch somewhere or use it in the pickup with another mount and cable.
Attached Thumbnails Which GPS Unit Should I Be Looking At...-old-pics-068.jpg