Capilano Steering System ? >

Capilano Steering System ?

Notices

Capilano Steering System ?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Capilano Steering System ?

Anyone heard of Capilano steering Helms ? Just doing some research and ran across em ... the Helm is adjustable ....from 3-6 turns ....night be nice to fine tune for current conditons or preferences .....m

http://www.bluemarlingroup.org/catal...hp?cPath=44_45
Attached Thumbnails Capilano Steering System ?-capilanosteering.jpg  
Old 03-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the looks of it, I'm guessing it's made for inboards.
That being said, I've used an inboard Hynautic helm unit on external cylinders. The only obvious problem is that few inboard helm units are power assisted.
But that's OK, It will just uild up your arm muscles.
Gary
Old 03-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

I've used them for years, great on something that does not need power assist. Number of turns depends on cylinder displacment.

Feel much nicer than the Hynautic. However as Gary says, no power boost, and if you are running fast 6 turns is a lot, 3 might be too hard to turn.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you figure cly. displscement to see what size helm you need? I have an add on system and want to go full.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Noise Pollution
How do you figure cly. displscement to see what size helm you need? I have an add on system and want to go full.

Most mfgrs. use a base helm in the 75-80 cc size for both single and dual ram systems. Charlynn is one of the more common, they offer 75-120-160 and 230 cc sizes. The larger the unit, the fewer turns to go lock to lock, due to the ability to move more fluid volume. The two larger units will likely need two PS pumps to operate properly. I installed an IMCO system years ago on a Velocity and used the 120 for a quicker acting / more responsive, system and was very satisfied with it. Have been considering changing the helm in the Fountain to a larger one this spring. Go to the IMCO site, they have all the parts listed, their tech people were good to work with when I was doing my change over.

BTW they also have the Capilano helm, mentioned above, and do not recomend it be used on sterndrive boats.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Most mfgrs. use a base helm in the 75-80 cc size for both single and dual ram systems. Charlynn is one of the more common, they offer 75-120-160 and 230 cc sizes. The larger the unit, the fewer turns to go lock to lock, due to the ability to move more fluid volume. The two larger units will likely need two PS pumps to operate properly. I installed an IMCO system years ago on a Velocity and used the 120 for a quicker acting / more responsive, system and was very satisfied with it. Have been considering changing the helm in the Fountain to a larger one this spring. Go to the IMCO site, they have all the parts listed, their tech people were good to work with when I was doing my change over.

BTW they also have the Capilano helm, mentioned above, and do not recomend it be used on sterndrive boats.
My add on is Imco. I call them but their guy is out till Monday.
Thanks for the info.