Bravo coupler on Alpha drive? >

Bravo coupler on Alpha drive?

Notices

Bravo coupler on Alpha drive?

Old 03-17-2007, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo coupler on Alpha drive?

I bought an 6.2 bravo engine which I want to use on a Alpha GenII drive. Do I need to swap the coupler?
The tube with the spline in the coupler of the bravo is a bit further to the back, about 1/4", I don't know if there is enough clearence on the spline of the drive?
Would the Alpha coupler be strong enough for a 6.2Mpi ?

Richard
Old 03-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Banned

I know you can swap a Bravo coupler with a Gen1 Alpha, and imagine you can with a Gen 2.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, I can't help you with your coupler question but here's some advice from someone who's owned 2 boats w/ BB- Alpha combo's: The Alpha absolutely cannot handle the tourque a BB creates from a hole shot- if you firewall the throttle from a standstill you'll be rebuilding the drive in no time. Also, if the prop catches any air you've got to be pulling back on the throttle before you re-enter or you'll be twist the prop shaft into a pretzel. Avoid those 2 things and you'll be OK-
Old 03-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ctuck0659
Sorry, I can't help you with your coupler question but here's some advice from someone who's owned 2 boats w/ BB- Alpha combo's: The Alpha absolutely cannot handle the tourque a BB creates from a hole shot- if you firewall the throttle from a standstill you'll be rebuilding the drive in no time. Also, if the prop catches any air you've got to be pulling back on the throttle before you re-enter or you'll be twist the prop shaft into a pretzel. Avoid those 2 things and you'll be OK-
The 6.2 is a small block.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Go Big or Go Home
Platinum Member

I do Believe an alpha gen 2 will slide into a bravo coupler. ctuck6059 has a very valid point about the limits of the alpha. Another thing to keep in mind is you will need an alpha shift plate and have to figure out how to wire in the interupter switch for shifting the alpha. Good Luck. Brian
Old 03-17-2007, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

The Bravo coupler should work with a Gen 2. stageharbor is right about having to rig up a alpha shift bracket with interupter switch. The Bravo coupler has a higher coupling strength and will add more stress to the Alpha under hard running. I've ran 3 350-400hp SBC's with Alpha couplers with no problems. My new motor should be the strongest yet and will test the coupler.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:46 AM
Registered

I know about the Alpha shiftplate, but since this engine is only supplied with a Bravo there is nothing in the computer that makes a shift intterupt. I called with Mark fom precision and he will be able do a reprogram on the ECU.
I bought this engine from 2001 with 57 hours on it but don't know any thing about it. It had been sitting in a boat who had an accident, the complete bravo 3 broke off and the transom was ruined.
So I like to test the engine before I make any cost on the ECM.
An extra ECM and reprogramming will cost me about $1000,-, an other option would be to sell my Alpha and buy a Bravo 1, it woul be a bit more expensive but it can handle the torque easy.

I think I will let the Bravo coupler on the engine.
It looks like the tube with the spline in is not 100% straight in the rubber hub of coupler, it is not much not even 2 degrees and with a bar in it I can put it straight wit almost no force. Maybe this is because the bravo was not straight a the engine anymore and the boat was stored for a long period, wuld not be easy to align I guess.
Any thoughts about this?

Richard
Old 03-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Registered

Default shift interupt

MSD sells a shift interupt madule, if your crafty, you can wire it in and make it work. all it does is ground out your coil for a quick second when you shift. it should not be all that hard to make it work with the efi. look into that, it is only like $45-$50... MSD part # 4489.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Ok, so maybe its $100 but it should work just fine.

Sleepy
Old 03-18-2007, 04:13 PM
Registered

Thanks, for the link of that module, I didn't know there was something available like that.
I did sent MSD an E-mail for some info for use in combination with an MEFI 3.

Richard