Roller rocker adjustment >

Roller rocker adjustment

Notices

Roller rocker adjustment

Old 03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roller rocker adjustment

Came back from a long weekend at the river and noticed that my port engine was making racket. Upon investigating more it seems that I had a rocker get loose. How do I need to re-adjust/tighten this rocker? Motors are 1989 mark 4 454's with harland sharp roller rockers. Motor produced 469 hp on dyno. Have not run the engine over 4000 rpm. Rockers have the allen head poly locks in center. Everything is new in engine with 18 hrs on them. Found that it was just one side, (the easy side) and was hoping to just tighten this one and get back to running. An easy to follow "how to" would greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Are they solid or hydraulic lifters?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Registered

roller rocker adjustment

They are hydralic lifters, roller cam retrofit for mark 4 block. Cam is a billet roller from rm builder.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mercury adjustment for flat tappet hyd lifters is ... set to zero lash then preload 1/2 to 3/4 turn , tighten allen set screw , then torque to 30 ft lbs. Been using this method for years and never had a rocker adjustment back off.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is the rocker loose or has the lock backed off?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Registered

Crank motor you see the valve is closed. Run the nut down by hand untill the rocker just touches the the push rod, zero lash. Then make your 1/2 - 3/4 turn on the nut.

Its possible the lock came loose. I'd go over all of them and make sure they are tight. After you tiighten the set screw, put your 5/8 wrench on the nut and put a little more toqure on it.

Last edited by Noise Pollution; 03-21-2007 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 PM
Registered

Was rocker nut loose when first inspected?If it was still tight and rocker had play in it ,the lifter may be stuck in the plunger.Whose lifters are you using? hydraulic rollers?I have seen this happen and sometimes you can free up lifter,sometimes lifter needs replacing.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Registered

Sooooooo Simple

I hate to even write this but I do thank everyone for the adjustment procedure. This is how it went.... After pulling the exhaust and valve covers, re-adjusted rockers and bolted everything back up, Still the same racket. Note that rockers appeared to be adjusted ok.
Start searching again. I had already taken each accessary belt off one at a time to narrow it down. Did this again but took them all off. Checked the tightness of crank pully. Bolts were tight. Tapped pully with rubber mallet and it made a click noise. Removed bolts to find the bolts were about cut in half and the pully bolt heads was slotted. Upon investigating, found the bolts were about an 1/8 inch too long!! It would tighten up enough to take all slack out of lock washer and give you a torque reading. This took about 20 hrs on engine to show up. This was a steel pully mounted on a fluid dampner. Installed new alum. pully, shorter bolts and PRESTO no noise. I wish all problems were this easy. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE.
Come see us at the TICKFAW RIVER
Kenny
Old 03-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Registered

Sometimes the problems are easy like that. You got a place on Tickfaw?
Old 03-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

No, wished we did. I have had a slip at Warsaw Marina for 4 years and keep my boat there. In the process of inclosing our living area of slip and using as apartment while we are there. I live in Miss. an hour and half away. I am there most every weekend and have met some really good friends down there. Do you come down there often?
Kenny