drive oil has streakings while draining

Notices

drive oil has streakings while draining

Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default drive oil has streakings while draining

Every yr I change my drive oil. Use only the Merc HP stuff. Every time the oil while draining has what looks like streaks in it, from the beginnng to the end of the drain cycle. I see diffferent streaks all side by side as it runs out, the new oil color streak, a used oil color, then a tanish color streak. NOT different layers such as water only, then an oil/water mixture, then oil only. The screw mags. are always clean, no metel and never any water signs either. Then there's the 'sludge' at the bottom of the bottle. Is this an additive that has separated? It's always there every yr. I clean the bottle every yr also.
Just curious what causes the streaks in the oil as I have had them in previous boats drive oil also. BTW, staying with the Merc oil.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had good luck with the merc green myself, I get the stuff in the bottom of the reservoir also, never really noticed the streaking though
Old 03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Registered

I've always used the Merc drive oil, and I've always noticed the streaking.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:45 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry,
I am curious about doing oil analysis on drive oil. We see some change at 25 hrs, others 50 and some once a season. It might be nice to know what shape the oil is in after 25 and 50 hours. Might be able to pinpoint what the best time to change is. Of course this could all change based on usage during the service interval but some info is better than none.

I usually spin the prop with a hand drill while changing the oil to make sure any small particles or sediments are entrained during the drain process. Same theory as running the engine up to temp before changing engine oil.The sediment in the bottle is your gear material that does not show up as flakes. I flip the bottle upside down and spray it with carb cleaner every change. I have hardly any sediment between changes since I began diverting the dump valve water on top of the cap. At cruise speed there is a steady 3/4 stream of water hitting the top cap as well as the drive shower water. Never checked the temps but it is likely as cool as it could be.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:10 AM
Registered

I change the oil about every 20-25hours - always looks like new, Mercs green one.

Better be safe than smashing the drive interor into pieces...

Pantera 28 with a really tired 700hp blower engine and a XR, cruising and hard driving (1700miles in 60-70hours during last season).
Old 03-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Registered

When I say I see "streaking" in the draining oil, is that it appears clear with streaks of pearlescence in it. I attribute it to the flow pattern the draining oil takes, and the manner in which it reflects light. If you were to take the drained oil and put it in a clear container, I'm sure it would appear void of streaks.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does it glisten in the sun light?? If so, is it yellow or silver? If so,, it is metal. The Bravo drive slowly eats themselves. What does your magnet look like? Any hair on it? The metal comes from several sources in the drive. Things loosen up and they wear and give off the small metal particles. You would be amazed at the amount of metal a normal drive gives off.

You can take a strong speaker magnet and hold it under the drain pan. If the streaks follow the lines of flux... it is steel. The yellow is produced by the brass rings on the upper gears.

Hope this helps
Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
Does it glisten in the sun light?? If so, is it yellow or silver? If so,, it is metal. The Bravo drive slowly eats themselves. What does your magnet look like? Any hair on it? The metal comes from several sources in the drive. Things loosen up and they wear and give off the small metal particles. You would be amazed at the amount of metal a normal drive gives off.

You can take a strong speaker magnet and hold it under the drain pan. If the streaks follow the lines of flux... it is steel. The yellow is produced by the brass rings on the upper gears.

Hope this helps

Yeah, what **** said.

My experience is the streaking is usualy from water or metal, and neither are good.

Not sure how many hours you boat, but I usually change my drive oil 3-4 times per season and boat on average of 100 hours per season.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I drained the 2nd drive. This one is not as obvious as the 1st one, but still some streaks. Faint though. No signs of water period. Water should separate and drain out 1st, correct?
The magnets are spotless, not so much as dirty oil on them. The streaks are brass colored, not silver. So I guess this is good, between the 2 and just normal? Also did the speaker magnet thing. No attraction from the particles, so no metal. Even with a small mag. stuck into the oil.
Both drives have showers. Average about 30 hrs per yr. Stock 502 EFI's. Not driven hard.
I suppose you could see a glistening if you look hard enough.

What I don't understand is why the streaks are there during the full drain? I'd think I'd see different levels of color as the particles have settled.
BTW, the boat has sat since Nov 1st, plenty of time for settling I'd think.
Pic makes the streaks appear light green (silver metal), but they are not. Could it be something as simple as different light reflections the further out from the middle of the drain do to the oil flow being thinner on the edges?

Both lower units were rebuilt 3 yrs ago. Uppers not touched. Pressure and vaccum test then with passing results.

Thanks

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

US1,
I would say you dont have a problem. Not sure what the streaking is from, but it may just be a settling of the oil additives or something. My guess is, to get that answered, you should send a sample in to have it analyzed. I wouldnt be surprised if they say there is metal content, but it probably isnt what you are seeing.. Could it be that the oil has sat long enough to seperate any moisture or additive. I go by what is on the magnet and if I see metal glow to the oil.. and the magnet under the pan makes a pretty pattern, then it is time to keep an eye on it.. When you feel chunks on the drain magnet.. means the gears are at the end of their life. XR gears wear like the lowers, they are both net forged. The X (helical) gears dont wear, they just break when over stressed.

I would fill it back up and go boating if it is warm enough, sure isnt here... *S*

Opps, forgot to use my alias.. hope I didnt offend anyone..

D*ck

Quick Reply: drive oil has streakings while draining

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.