Scorpion Rocker Arms? >

Scorpion Rocker Arms?

Notices

Scorpion Rocker Arms?

Old 04-20-2007, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scorpion Rocker Arms?

Anyone using these? I have installed a set I got from board member CStraub. Look to be a fine piece. The roller tips are larger than the Crane Gold.

http://scorpionperformanceinc.com/sp...ance-parts.cfm
Old 04-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the Crane Gold race series. I am wd for Crane if you need a good price. I have seen to many Scorpions fail. Most of the failures are in the bearing.

Last edited by mrhorsepower1; 04-25-2007 at 06:17 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:44 AM
Registered

Just what failed on the Scorpions? Was it a manufacturing defect or design flaw? I did some homework on these on the "other board" as well as street racers. They all seem to like them a great deal.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a buddy that just put them in his small block for a boat. They look to be well made but that doesn't mean to much. He only has dyno time on the motor so I have no idea on durability.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

The roller tip on the rocker arm has nothing to do with how well the rocker will perform. It's the fulcrum that makes all the difference. It's been proven that the roller tip doesn't even roll!

With that said... I have heard of the fulcrums coming apart in some instances with these rocker arms. It's a get what you pay for deal. A part with a strong reputation such as from Crane or Harland Sharp would set my mind at ease.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:47 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Tyler Crockett believes the Scorpions are a suitable piece.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
The roller tip on the rocker arm has nothing to do with how well the rocker will perform. It's the fulcrum that makes all the difference. It's been proven that the roller tip doesn't even roll!

With that said... I have heard of the fulcrums coming apart in some instances with these rocker arms. It's a get what you pay for deal. A part with a strong reputation such as from Crane or Harland Sharp would set my mind at ease.
I would even be leery of harland sharp,they used to be top of the line but I think they are made in china now. I used them years ago on pontiacs and they were very well built,a buddy bought a set on my advice for his pontiac a few years ago and they looked like junk. 1 had a shaft in the fulcrum that wasn't machined completely where the nut seats and the nuts were very brittle,had threads that weren't finished real well and holes were even slightly off center,I'd never buy them again,maybe the bbc ones are okay but these ones looked like some 89$ flea market ones,Smitty
Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 AM
Registered

Well I ran the boat yesterday and they lived 4 hours so at least good for that long! It does look to be a quality piece. I spoke with the factory before selecting these. The designer outlined some manufacturing procedures they use, something about polishing to final size and tumbling the aluminum? They build rockers for many name brands and re label them. Many name brand rockers are the Scorpions. The BBC rockers were rated for use to 800 lb. spring pressure.

Slick video
http://www.scorpionperformance.com/video/
Old 04-22-2007, 05:43 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim, I never seen your findings. Was it determined a rocker was bad and causing the noise? If so, how or what was it doing?
Old 04-22-2007, 07:11 AM
Registered

Jerry,
All is well now. Rockers were fine. I am awaiting some RCA failue data before I get a final determination. I will post when all info is complete.

Quick Reply: Scorpion Rocker Arms?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.