496HO Beep-Beep alarm....then

Notices

496HO Beep-Beep alarm....then

Old 05-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496HO Beep-Beep alarm....then

Out of the blue during Saturday's OM Poker Run after purring like a kitten a couple of weeks before, I start my motors and start getting this annoying double-beep alarm every 30-45 seconds all day long for what sounds like both motors (double-beep, then 3 seconds later double-beep again).

In addition, while running 4k+ on the RPM (again hearing this double beep all along) I would suddenly get a solid loud alarm that would not go away until I came completely off plane, at which time I could immediately pop right back up and run for a few minutes before the same thing would happen. If I stayed 3500 or less no solid alarm???

One motor actually stalled twice in gear at idle while approaching a card stop.

The the day after the run while leaving the marina, upon first starting the engines, they both sort of sputtered and died. But re-started fine again with the double beep alarm for each and hitting the solid alarm if I really got on it.

The only common denominator for both engines since running perfect the last time i ran it, was installing a t-fitting in the raw water feed hose approximately 4 inches behind the pump for a fresh water flush system which yes is air tight. Did all the obvious and cursory stuff like check connections, drive oil level, engine oil level etc. etc. and all were perfect.

Engines did not go in to guardian ( I tried to make them) but one motor later in the day during the run did seem to only want to reach 3700?

First off, what the heck is the double beep alarm for?

Secondly as i read it there are advertised only three alarms:
1) Engine oil pressure (one reads 40, the other 30 psi)
2) Engine temperature (gauges at 160, all four risers cool to the touch)
3) Drive reservoir level (both reservoirs are at the max line?

Any thoughts/experiences???
Old 05-22-2007, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are at least 26 different faults that can cause a "soft"alarm (two beeps per minute). Unless it's a coincedence, and it could be, it has someting to do with the flush fitting. Along that line, the two faults most likely to be set would be Seawater Pressure Low or Exhaust Manifold Coolant temp High.

If the risers are cool to the touch, it may not be the EMCT, but still could be low Seawater Pump pressure. Thats just a guess of course, and a scan tool or Smartcraft display are the only way to find out for sure.

By the way, you were in Guardian Mode as soon as you got the soft alarm, and when you go over 3500RPM, it will turn to a "hard" alarm (constant warning horn).

Dave
Old 05-22-2007, 01:10 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

That's some pretty logical thinking. I know I'm not the only guy who has installed a fresh water flush t-fitting in the raw water feed hose, and I know the hoses themselves are closed off with airtight shutoffs as well as the screw in cap for the perko fitting, so why me and no one else if assuming it was water pressure related?

Where is this sensor? Is it the one with the wire lead connected to the raw water pump itself witht he pitot tube running to the pressure gauges? I got good readings on the pressure gauges too all day?

If I disconnected would it go away?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

There's actually another local single 496HO (we just spoke on the phone) who i found out has been having the same exact symptoms/problem since installing his Perko version of the flush kit, only his motor will actually stall completely out once he's on it hard at 4000 rpm. Consistent double-beeps then full alarm etc. Scan tool said nothing, MAP and ECM both chaged out with no results etc. Somehow the hose must be causing osme sort of vortex or flow distortion to fake out the sensor (wherever it's located) sending false signals to the ECM of lessened water pressure.

What I don't understand is how others on here with basically the same basic flush kit setup has not experienced similar problems assuming it's water related pending gettnig a scantool hooked up.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:48 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Thinking out loud again...if the coolant/anti-freeze was low, would it give a similar alarm sequnce? If so, how low does anyone think it would have to be before it kicked in? Mine is a tad low from two winters of weeping a little bit, but doesn't really appear to be what I call excessively low.

Last edited by Reckless32; 05-22-2007 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Rough Seas Lie Ahead
Gold Member

Well good, bad, or indifferent, I just ordered the Merc scantool from Rinda to be received by Friday. I'm tired of having these little grimlins and not get immediate satisfaction as to what my problem is so I can gitter-dun. Had them throw in the adapter for the 502's as well.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:09 PM
Registered

Rick - keep us posted on if the flush kit is the culprit.

Da Svidanya
Old 05-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is a plastic flush adapter with the lil spring in,,, throw it out . their junk. they causer airation in the water. the original design of these type of units is 15- 20 years old and does not with stand the pressures put to it by todays standard factory engines which by far out perform engines from 15 - 20 years ago.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Rinda scan tool doesn't always point directly to the cause of the soft double beep. I had a SeaRay with a bad IAC that I found by checking readings from the other engine and doing a time consuming comparison. Would have been simpler if I had TWO scan tools!
Good luck with this one.

Just think. Once you own your own scan tool, you're one step closer to being a surveyor!
Old 05-22-2007, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nowadays, A scan tool is money well spent.

Quick Reply: 496HO Beep-Beep alarm....then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.