Notices

Burnham launch ramp

Old 06-01-2007, 05:55 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Burnham launch ramp

Would I able able to launch my 40' there? I have launched at diversey, but the steep angle causes my trailer to bottom out real bad! Almost got stuck there last year, maybe I need to raise the hitch higher.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Burnaham has a good ramp but it is narrow, my buddy launches his 35 Fountain there all the time. I am not sure the overall length but I do know it has a "stop" and then just falls off......BZ
Old 06-01-2007, 09:04 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of a couple guys that launch their 40 Fountain, and 38 Cig there without any problems. Before you back the boat down the ramp, take a walk down there and you'll be able to see the end of the ramp through the water. Remember where that is in relation to the dock, then remember where the front axel is on your trailer in relation to what part of the boat sits directly above the front axel. When backing down, just make sure that the front axel "NEVER" goes past the end of the ramp.
Sometimes when backing down a long boat, you may have to walk down there a couple times just to make sure you don't go too far. Easy way to do this is, put a small piece of tape on the boat where the front axel is, that way if you can't see the tires in the water, you'll know where they are by that piece of tape.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 06-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 10x
I know of a couple guys that launch their 40 Fountain, and 38 Cig there without any problems. Before you back the boat down the ramp, take a walk down there and you'll be able to see the end of the ramp through the water. Remember where that is in relation to the dock, then remember where the front axel is on your trailer in relation to what part of the boat sits directly above the front axel. When backing down, just make sure that the front axel "NEVER" goes past the end of the ramp.
Sometimes when backing down a long boat, you may have to walk down there a couple times just to make sure you don't go too far. Easy way to do this is, put a small piece of tape on the boat where the front axel is, that way if you can't see the tires in the water, you'll know where they are by that piece of tape.

Thats good info! I am pretty sure burnam has railroad ties at the edge of the ramps, I thought I saw this while we were walking the lakefront a few weeks ago. My luck the railroad tie bolts would snap, and the trailer would fall right off the ramp. I will do the tape thing if I lauch there.

How about the ramp in jackson? I launched a waverunner there, but never a boat.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i couldn't launch my 38 Cig there but I have a low trailer and it also bottoms out at diversey. Not mention if it does bottom out it will do it at a high point on the ramp and that being said I don't think the RR ties will help
Old 06-02-2007, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

He is not exaggerating when he says he has a low-rider trailer..I thought mine was low, I've heard ants screaming for thier lives when Brian's passes overhead.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Registered

yeah, my trailer sits pretty low too. When I was yanking the boat out lasst summer at diversey, One of my crossmembers under the nose of the boat cought the peak of the ramp. I had to really tug it to get over the hump, scary. Maybe I will have to get a hitch with a rise on it, or taller trailer tires. Or just start launching at pastrick.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 AM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=MILD THUNDER;2148273]Or just start launching at pastrick.

yes