Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Need help with my TV and PS2 install !! >

Need help with my TV and PS2 install !!

Notices

Need help with my TV and PS2 install !!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need help with my TV and PS2 install !!

Hey all. I have posted a little bit about my install in a different thread, but here's a little background. 600W inverter, with a 15 " lcd flat screen with a PS2. I finally got everything done tonight and turned it all on to check it out. TV is clear in the video screen waiting for a signal in. When i turn the PS2 on, i get a small amount of electrical interference. It's just enough to annoy. I tried plugging the PS2 into the wall outlet with the tv on the inverter. Same thing. I would plug the Ps2 in the inverter, with the tv on the wall outlet, and my noise goes away. I have not yet tried putting both on the wall outlet with boat wires. I went with the cheap RCA's from walmart, which may be the culprit, not sure yet. I also separated the power cord for the tv from the rca's by about 3 feet, no difference. What do you guys think, is it a possible noisy inverter, or should i bank on the cheap rca's. Looking for input.

p.s. Would the wall outlet be that much cleaner than the inverter out that cheap rcas would not make a difference with wall out, rather inverter out?

Last edited by cloudmaster_321; 06-08-2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

start with the patch cords.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would start by reading the specs on the inverter. 600 watts is only 5 amps... normally enough to do what you are doing but having said that, a lot of inverters, especially the cheapo low power ones, SAY 600 w but in little tiny print say max intermittent and only 400 continuous. also... the small ones are, in fact noisy as they are not normally modified sine wave type...
Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Registered

I believe you posted a thread on this subject once before and I responded with thoughts about a pure sign wave inverter verses not. Sounds like your TV needs something other than a modified sign wave which is what your inverter is probably putting out. Look for a pure sign wave inverter and your problems should go away.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Registered

Here's some specs on the inverter i bought. I got it on sale at West Marine, it was opened once and brought back............
It's a 600 PRO watt made by Xantrex. On the specs, it says it is 600 watts max. continuous power, and 1200 watts surge capacity. It is a modified sine wave output. I did not pay much attention to the modified or non modified sine wave output. Even though, i would think that if the tv has a clear blue screen, meaning no signal in, it would stay clear also when the video input was active? I know what a sine wave is, when they are saying modified, what is different, are they clipping it? My buddy has a set of 20' monstor cables that i will try first, other than that, i guess i will get a different inverter. I saw a nice one at best buy, it was either a 1000 or an 800 watt. But it was pricey, something like $180 bucks....
Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Registered

This is the one i looked at located at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1091101114748

May have to pick up this one if my current inverter is going to give me problems....
Old 06-11-2007, 05:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the xantrex stuff is top notch. thats not your problem
Old 06-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by stevesxm
the xantrex stuff is top notch. thats not your problem
What do you think it is?
Old 06-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Registered

Zantrex stuff is top notch and they do have a seperate pure sign wave product line for a reason. Read the description of the Prosine models (for sensitive electronics). Zantrex make modified sine wave units like the one you have. Modified sine waves are either clipped or chopped, or both. Clipping and chopping either cut off the peak or limit the duration of a sign wave. If a certain circuit with in a module is depending on an un-interrupted frequency and or a peek of 177 the modified output is not compatible. I had the same problem with electronic control of a coffee pot. You can Google Pure sine wave inverters. I found one for $150 300W. I beg to differ with Steve considering my experience this could well solve your problem. Try one and let me know. I am ready to learn more.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered

Well, i have a list of stuff to try that i came up with. I'm an avionics tech by day. Shadetree mechanic by night. So i'm going to try everything under the sun short of a different inverter. Will let you guys know tomorrow hopefully.

Ryan

Quick Reply: Need help with my TV and PS2 install !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.