502 closed cooling. >

502 closed cooling.

Notices

502 closed cooling.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 502 closed cooling.

going to convert my 502 mag mpi's to closed cooling. there seem to be several kits available. anyone have any sage advice as to which may be better than any others ?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:47 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I used the OEM Mecr kit on my 454 Magnum. Fit and worked great. When I upgraded power to my current 540, I bolted the kit on my new engine. I was a bit leary about its cooling capacity, being that the new engine has 94 more cubic inches and almost 300 more horsepower. It ended up working great. It keeps the engine between 170* and 180* even after hard runs.
Attached Thumbnails 502 closed cooling.-opt-eng.jpg  
Old 06-10-2007, 08:18 AM
Registered

http://oceaneastmarine.com/freshwater.html

I use the econo-kool full system for the big block. The big block kit has a 5" diameter heat exchanger which is good to 600HP. I mounted it on the stringer under the engine.

I recommend not getting their hose kit and finding your local hydraulic hose/rubber supply place and buying wire reinforced hoses. It's expensive (like $4 a foot), but I just did this after running normal rubber hose for a season and a half. The wire stuff doesn't kink, looks better, and is abrasion proof. Wait until the heat exchanger is mounted, then measure up. You'll need 1 3/4" hose for the upper and lower "radiator" hoses. 1 1/4" hose for the raw water side. 1" hose for the exhaust lines. I also recommend going to west marine and getting their 4 5/8" stainless t-bolt clamps to hold the exchanger to the brackets. The worm clamps kept coming loose.

You can get a "full system" that cools the lower exhaust manifolds with anti-freeze, but you have to have block off plates in the risers so the raw water goes into the risers. Then there's an abortion of a thermostat housing that bolts on the engine to allow the 1" supply and return lines to the exhaust. I ran that setup, but with my recent whipple supercharger setup, I decided to ditch the full system and go "half system" which is only the engine block cooled with anti-freeze. The exhaust now see raw water, which isn't bad since I have dana marine hard anodized manifolds. So I recommend the cheaper half system.

Here's my old writeup from the donzi forum:

About time I updated this posting with my closed loop cooling system install complete.

Overall the system is great and works perfectly. It took me a couple of weeks of tinkering in the engine compartment fiddling with hoses and fittings to get it all rigged up perfect.

Make friends with your local hydraulic/hose supply company. I used Goodyear red rubber hose- need about 15' of 1" hose for the exhaust loop, lots of 1 1/4" for the raw water loop to the cooler, 1 3/4" for the upper and lower hoses. Measure it all out, then double it. In the end I couldn't get a clean run from the lower water pump inlet past my v-belt tensioner to the exchanger- I found a corrogated chrome plated copper cooling hose from www.coolflex.com that fits great.

The cooling loops is: raw water raw water pump, heat exhanger, power steering cooler, oil cooler, then splits to each exhaust elbow. Ideally, you'd want the oil cooler cooled first, but that wasn't feasable with my install.

Temp holds perfectly at 180 degrees.

Now to winterize the engine, I made a "beer bong" with a spare merc earmuff flushing device, hooked to a barbed fitting to a 1" clear hose to a big funnel. I hook it all up, start pouring in bio-degradable (and dog safe) antifreeze, have a buddy fire up the engine, keep pouring until it comes out the exhaust- takes about 2 gallons. Shut it down, and now the whole raw side is full of antifreeze and you're good to go for the winter! If you want to fog the engine too, take off the raw water pump belt so the antifreeze stays in the engine. Now you can run it for couple of minutes- watch you don't overheat the rubber exhaust hoses.
Attached Thumbnails 502 closed cooling.-old-engine.jpg   502 closed cooling.-old-engine-2.jpg  

Last edited by zimm17; 06-10-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

where did you get the oem kit ?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered

oem kits ( if thats what they are) are advertised at 15 to 1700... aftermarket is 850 to 950..... anybody know anything about the relative difference between any of this stuff ?
Old 06-10-2007, 01:23 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

I got the OEM kit from BAM.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Registered

good people... ill try them on monday and see what they say...
Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 PM
Registered

Can this be done to a 500HP. Tired of sucking crap up into my system with the low water pickup.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by speediseverything
Can this be done to a 500HP. Tired of sucking crap up into my system with the low water pickup.
Sure. I checked the website I purchased my kit from- it'll handle a 750hp engine...
Old 06-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 used sets I am getting ready to throw on ebay

Quick Reply: 502 closed cooling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.