Alpha 1 water coming into boat >

Alpha 1 water coming into boat

Notices

Alpha 1 water coming into boat

Old 06-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpha 1 water coming into boat

Well during splashing it for the first time this year I have a problem. Water spewing into the bilge through the center of the transom plate. I can't tell where its coming from. What are all the posible spots that water could get in...things that I have checked and resealed....also boat has thru-hull exhaust.

shop inspected bellows saying everything looks ok they are 2 years old. I have cheanged both gaskets at the trim lines under the plate.

we noticed that when spraying water between the drvieshaft bellows and the shift bellows we can get water to come into the boat, but there are no visible cracks or leaks...everything looks great. The marina is leaning towards the exhaust block off plate... I will be getting a new gasket for that tomorrow but I just wanted to see what you gentlemen have to say
Thanks as always
Harry
Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Try putting the drain plug in while on the trailer, and filling it with some water. If the leak is low enough it will show on the outside.
Just don't forget to turn off the hose!!!1
Old 06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Registered

you sure it's not where the engine cooling water comes in the boat?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 PM
MOP
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

90% it is the bellows!!! They need to be changed out every few years! If I am right change the gimble bearing while you are in there, the water fresh or salt has shortened its life!

Phil
Old 06-14-2007, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

I would lean towards the driveshaft bellow or the blockoff plate. I would say it's likely the bellow as the blockoff plate is Oringed and as long as the nuts are tight it will not leak.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Registered

they put the gimbal bearing in when they put the drive on yesterday so its brand new. Its definitly not the water pickup becuase the engines not even on...Its seem to come from (when you are looking at the inner transom plate) around to the left side of the exhaust block off plate. I willl try that idea of filling the bilge as far as I can, up to the bottom of the starter, I think thats the highest point I can go. all the responses are so helpful. thanks alot guys I will tell the mechanic at the marina to go over the bellows again...is there anyway to pressure test them for leaks. its a decent amount of water though...it pools up in the cutout of the then flows into the bilge. Thanks alot guys
-Harry
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the past I have had leaks on mostly bravos but some alpha at the swivel pin in the gimble ring where it goes into the transom assy, try spraying water in that area and see it it comes through.