Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Thru-Hull Exhaust Help >

Thru-Hull Exhaust Help

Notices

Thru-Hull Exhaust Help

Old 06-16-2007, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thru-Hull Exhaust Help UPDATED!!!!!!!!!!

I took off the silent thunder platform from my formula. I finally got to drive the boat for the first time today with my newly reman motor. I got what seem to be excessive amount of steam or whitish grey smoke coming out the exhauast. Motor ran great and had good oil pressure...45 and good temperature...160 I put on stainless steel tips with built in internal flappers...the mechanic at the marina said the internal flappers could be causeing splashing thus enhancing the steam...I don't get it though. its a 5 minute idle out to the sound it seem ok getting out there with some steambut once I opened it up and looked back I had a trail of white smoke...I brought it back down to idle and putted into the marina while it was still smokeing alot. shut it down for literally 2 minutes well when mechanic started it...nothing minimal...the same amount I had when I first headed out. what gives and whats aceptable? any ideas
-Harry

edit...the motor is a 350 5.7 the boat is a 89 formula206

Last edited by formula18; 06-20-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Registered

anyone?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

Steam is a fairly sure sign of too little waterflow in the cooling system. It may still be able to cool the engine, there is normally a quite good safety margin.
The low flow may be due to a bad impeller or a restriction somewhere. The most common restrictions are impellerblades in the oilcooler inlet screen or a collapsed suction hose in the drive. I would start checking the easy ones (impeller and lost blades) and save the suction hose for last. It is a PITA to change.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 35 Posts

check where the water hose goes through the transom, they seen to get salt built up and collapse the hose . what year boat is it
Old 06-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Formula 18, I had a oil cooler on a engine I once had. Take off the inlet hose, there is a plate w/several holes in it about the dia. of a pencil, one time i sucked up seaweed and blocked it ,keep it simple start w/ water intake and follow it to the end. "HIGH LIFE"
Old 06-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steam in the exhaust with a cool motor is also a sign of leaking exhaust manifolds. Pull the risers and inspect them for rust holes.

Rene
Old 06-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it steam or white smoke? white smoke could be the assembly burning off if the motor wasn't dyno'ed...
Old 06-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Water temp in the sound has got to be below 60 degrees...that will make for alot of steam.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

thanks guys losts of things to check...
1..I have a new impellar, new circulator pump, new gaskets in the mainfolds and risers.

2. I will check the oil cooler and for some colapsed hoses.

the thermostat is new as well. it has the houseing wiht the check balls. they seam ok!!
I am hoping this is a non issue becuase the motor seems to run very well. The motor was not dynoed. I don't know what there would be to burn off.
It seems like steam but I guess it could be white smoke. Most of it dissapates quickly. I notice that when I first start up...there is no smoke just water. I guess its as the motor gets hot!
Old 06-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Registered

i just pulled off the oil cooler and there is not screen..I can see right thru both holes water and oil...I am running 25 40 oil...is there a differnt one I should try, maybe one that would help it run cooler...it does seem to head up toward 180 at idle sometimes.

Where is this screen? I got the idea it was in that cooler that bolts to the engine mount? mine didn't have one..thanks
-Harry

Quick Reply: Thru-Hull Exhaust Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.