Windshield Screw Replacement / Re-Drilling >

Windshield Screw Replacement / Re-Drilling

Notices

Windshield Screw Replacement / Re-Drilling

Old 06-21-2007, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Screw Replacement / Re-Drilling

I have a plexiglass windshield which screws onto the hull via stainess screws and those little black snap caps to cover the screws.

Over the past 12 years, the screw holes have become worn, and no matter how much or how often I re-tighten them, they never stay tight.

I am told to drill out the existing holes/fill with fiberglass resin/re-drill new holes/and insert new screws and it should do the trick. This is a fixed location/fitted windshield which cannot be moved to just drill new holes.

Has anybody done this and of so, how? How do I get the resin to completely fill the holes (and without running, creating a mess). Is there an easier fix?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:32 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I'm guessing that using the next size larger diameter screw is not an option.

Before you go that far, I would try this.

Get some epoxy from the any auto store. Use something that will work with fiberglass and has a cure time of about an hour or two. They sell all kinds for many applications. Go to any pharmacy and ask them for a 5 cc plastic syringe. Mix the epoxy, put it in the syringe and squeeze some into each screw hole. It will partially set up in about 30 mins. Reinstall the windscreen/screws at this time.

Another simple method that I have used on cover snaps.

Get some regular copper wirelike you would use for a stereo. Remove the rubber jacket. Cut the strands to about a 1/2 inch or the depth of your screw hole and drop 6-8 strands into the hole. Coat the screw threads with 5200 caulk and reinsert screw. The wire takes up the looseness and the 5200 will keep it tight.