looking for modified 454/502 mpi intake

Notices

looking for modified 454/502 mpi intake

Old 06-22-2007, 02:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts
Default looking for modified 454/502 mpi intake

As many of you who are familar with my procharged 540 mpi engine build I have been working on freshening it and trying to up the hp even further past the 944hp mark I reached 2 years ago on the dyno. I had port matched a 2000 502 mpi lower intake manifold and modified the dividers/inlets and used a stock upper plenum and throttle body. Part of my work this time was to get the intake professionally full ported as I was unable to do this myself with my limited porting skills and time. I have been working with a local head porter who has done very good work for me in the past on many other projects,he has prepped my heads and was supposed to full out port the lower intake manifold for me. We had agreed on a price and he had assured me he could do it with no problem. We had even talked of digitiziting a few of the ports after porting (if the results were positive on the dyno ) and having other manifiolds cnc'd as he has done this before. We know the intake manifold is somewhat of a restriction as the sq area is approx 2.8 sq" at smallest runner area vs 3.48" on the heads I am using and the flow bench shows a 25-35 cfm flow drop from a bare head to head/manifold when flowed and this is with my partially modified intake. Well now after waiting a extra month for him to make progess he tells me today that porting the intake by hand is going to be pretty much physically impossible due to the runner length and inaccesability of the ports . I could have bought a azsm extrude honed intake a month ago and been on the dyno already and boating,called azsm today,it would be a month before they could get a intake out to me minimum at this point,DOES ANYONE HAVE A AZSM MODIFIED LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD FOR A 454/502 MPI that they are not using that they are willing to part with? PM me with price and details. Like most of you know,I made 944 hp/962 ft lbs of tq before and I'm trying to explore just exactly what the upper limit of power is that can be made using a procharger blowing thru a mpi system with mefi computer and still make it on the water in the next 2 months which is pretty much the boating season around here,Smitty
Old 06-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have had great success working with Wilson Manifolds in Ft. Laud. Success not only on the dyno, but in real world responsiveness in the boat. It you send Wilson a head and the manifold they can help you. You can always CNC the finished product later. The difference between the best and average is probably only a few hundred $.
I would never go anywhere else; the first two porters I used seemed to be just guessing.
Call and talk to Keith Wilson 954 771 6216