Procharger installation on a 500 EFI ????s

Old 06-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger installation on a 500 EFI ????s

Hi there,

Thanks in advance to any answers.

I have some questions on the installation of a Procharger on a 500 EFI. So here goes -

1.) Do you have any pictures that you can share?

2.) Do you have any tips?

3.) Has anyone replaced the old fuel filter with the one that Procharger sends without taking the motor out, and if so, how did you do it?

Thank you very much for your help.

C-
Old 06-28-2007, 06:43 AM
Registered

I went the Whipple instead of the procharger this winter on mine hp500efi. I also am running a Sun 288.

couple of reasons. I couldn't find anyone close to me that had experience with the procharger. It would be a first time install. Also the 'tuning' of the procharger kit didn't impress me. Pulling plugs at different rpm to check for rich lean conditions etc...

I know I may not be helping, but I also didn't like the look of the kit.

The Whipple was more $$, but I'm very happy.

I would sugest pulling the engine and having it dyno'd so it is set up perfect the first time.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jimmys 288
Hi there,

Thanks in advance to any answers.

I have some questions on the installation of a Procharger on a 500 EFI. So here goes -

1.) Do you have any pictures that you can share?

2.) Do you have any tips?

3.) Has anyone replaced the old fuel filter with the one that Procharger sends without taking the motor out, and if so, how did you do it?

Thank you very much for your help.

C-
left the motor in the boat.
I just finished he install on my 500 EFI of an M3-SC unit, I have some pictures to share and will post them this afternoon.
Tips....yes get the self contained unit....no drilling holes in the pan, get the ECU reprogrammed by someone who knows what they are doing( Mark @ precision marine is a good one. I had him do mine.) Take your time on the instll, it is not very difficult at all if you have some good mechanical skills, toughest part for me was removing the studs from the block down low holding the original cool fuel set up under the motor. when installing the connector for the intake to the manifold do this before mounting the brackets on the motor or you will have to pull the upper half of the plennum.
Lastly junk the FMU you get with it and go with a nice high quality regulater to control fuel preassure at idle and then get a rising rate regulater to control boost fuel preassure from car tech in San Antonio.

I am very happy so far with my set up, took my ride from 70-72 on a daily basis to a best of 84.9 on GPS....and 82-83 at will.

as for the fuel filter, i kept mine but tapped the holes bigger and eliminated every 90 degree fitting in the fuel system and returned the fuel to the tank.

I also had the aid of an AFR meter for final tuning....try chopping the throttle@80 to read pliugs and see what happens, not very advisable. Good thing I hooked up the AFR because I was 11.5 -12.0 all the way to 5000 RPMS and then it dropped to 14.3-14.6 on the meter over 5000RPMS....not lean but for a SC motor not enough fuel to keep it from beating itself to death.
Good luck with it and post anymore ?'s
Smitty will see this and I am sure add to the answers he is the man when it comes to this Procharger stuff...
Btyan
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (09-02-2022)
Old 06-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bryan Rose
I also had the aid of an AFR meter for final tuning....try chopping the throttle@80 to read pliugs and see what happens, not very advisable. Good thing I hooked up the AFR because I was 11.5 -12.0 all the way to 5000 RPMS and then it dropped to 14.3-14.6 on the meter over 5000RPMS....not lean but for a SC motor not enough fuel to keep it from beating itself to death.
Good luck with it and post anymore ?'s
Smitty will see this and I am sure add to the answers he is the man when it comes to this Procharger stuff...
Btyan
This is why it is SO important to have someone with experience to install this. How many components in the kit do you have to either upgrade, or replace? This is why I like the dyno idea with someone who has instaled this kit.

Not puting it down, but if your looking to install in the middle of boating season, you don't want to be chasing problems all summer long.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Canada Jeff
This is why it is SO important to have someone with experience to install this. How many components in the kit do you have to either upgrade, or replace? This is why I like the dyno idea with someone who has instaled this kit.

Not puting it down, but if your looking to install in the middle of boating season, you don't want to be chasing problems all summer long.
REMEMBER I did the install myself and it was the first one I have done as well. I upgraded parts to make me feel better about the install, the parts they send are top notch and work but Smitty found a way to do it better....the look of the whipple is bad ass but I think the procharger properly done looks pretty bad ass as well...I like the fact that I am more efficient in my cruise rpms and am not burning any more fuel until I am in the boost......4000-42000 rpms. Not to mention it is much easier on the drivetrain.
I am not going to get into a this is better or that is better situation here, both make top notch stuff and both have had their share of engineering problems over the past few years as well as problems with customer service and tech help.....lord knows procharger does not have any... tech help that is......
Next time I will try a Whipple ....because I have not done one yet....I like to try different things and never like to do anything the same way twice.

Bryan
Old 06-28-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thank you both so much. Both systems were considered . . . the Procharger was purchased.

Bryan, thank you very much for the tips and I am looking forward to the pics!

What Props did you guys end up switching to?

Thanks again!

C-
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 AM
Registered

I'm running aprox 750hp, turning, a hydromotive P5X 26' . I have tried, and bought a Labed 30' Bravo one. I see 80mph any time, and should reach low 80's in perfect water.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered

Default 500 EFI Pro Charger

Who is Smitty? Anyone know anyone in Texas that can install M-3SC Pro Charger Kit on a 500EFI??
The following users liked this post:
articfriends (09-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by texasoilman
Who is Smitty? Anyone know anyone in Texas that can install M-3SC Pro Charger Kit on a 500EFI??

Yes. Where in Texas are you located?

Send me an email at [email protected]