Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharger, oil pressure and water temp????? >

Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

Notices

Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

Old 07-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

I have just installed an m1-sc on my 7.4 MPI. First I have to say I agree with the many posts I have read on this sight.... Procharger manuals and customer service leave alot to be desired.

Now, I got it installed, It actually works very well but..... my water temp does not register it stays so cool.

I have no problem with this necessarily, but my oil pressure never gets below 60 PSI and will rise above 80PSI (guage max) at higher rpm. I changed to a lighter grade oil, and this made some, but very little difference.

I have read many statements about a 120 Deg. thermostat on here, but can not find one to buy.

What is your take on the cooling/Oil temp issue?

Thanks.
Steve
Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

If your set-up allows a coolant thermostat, use one. My M-4 system does not allow it. I added a oil thermostat between the filter housing and cooler. This gets oil hot enough to keep it free of condensation and gets it thinned down to lower pressure levels.
I just changed my distributor and the old bronze gear was chewed pretty good due to running cold oil at high pressure before the oil T-stat was added.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Procharger wants to run the motor cold to help with detonation. This allows you to run higher boost levels, safer. That system is not set up to run a t-stat. There is no bypass for when the t-stat is closed. The water must have some place to go.
Kelly O is right. You may definitely want to add an oil t-stat. Hardin Marine has a nice piece. It is ok to run the water temp cold, but cold oil is real bad for the valvetrain, especially the springs. It will also make some milk due to condensation. Eddie
Old 07-02-2007, 06:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Kelly O
If your set-up allows a coolant thermostat, use one. My M-4 system does not allow it. I added a oil thermostat between the filter housing and cooler. This gets oil hot enough to keep it free of condensation and gets it thinned down to lower pressure levels.
I just changed my distributor and the old bronze gear was chewed pretty good due to running cold oil at high pressure before the oil T-stat was added.
Same here. Engine temp never gets over 110 degrees but oil gets warm & pressure drops as it warms up. I use 20-50w oil
Old 07-07-2007, 04:51 PM
Registered

Mine also runs very cold.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered

Had my motor machined by larry peto and he gave me a lighter spring to put in my oil pump.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[I] run a 120F stat and have by-passed the t-stat with a valve feeding from below the t-stat to the heat exchanger for my domestic hot water (shower). The return comes in above the t-stat and provides the necessary by-pass that procharger suggests be accomplished with holes drilled in the t-stat. the valve allows me to adjust the amount of by-pass thus allowing heat to build up under the thermostat as then it will regulate temp. I measured the oil temp and it is around 200 f so you must either have a very effective cooler or a bad gauge/sender.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I put a thermostat housing only in mine. Like a restrictor. It works perfect(w/o the guts). On hot days it runs around 120*. If your running a stock cooler you should be getting plenty of heat in your oil. I had to upgrade my cooler because of too high temps.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kennyo
I put a thermostat housing only in mine. Like a restrictor. It works perfect(w/o the guts). On hot days it runs around 120*. If your running a stock cooler you should be getting plenty of heat in your oil. I had to upgrade my cooler because of too high temps.
I also did the thermostat without the guts... It seems to have helped with the water temp now around 100-110.... I bypassed the oil cooler and got the oil pressure down a little, but it is still 40-60 at idle and up from there.

While were at it...What are your opinions on this procharger system?? I hear alot of people bash them... Mine runs very smooth... I went up one prop size with the procharger and I have seen almost 13mph gain (not willing to push it for long just yet) and no black transom or engine faultering???? Just curious...
Old 07-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trawfish
I also did the thermostat without the guts... It seems to have helped with the water temp now around 100-110.... I bypassed the oil cooler and got the oil pressure down a little, but it is still 40-60 at idle and up from there.

While were at it...What are your opinions on this procharger system?? I hear alot of people bash them... Mine runs very smooth... I went up one prop size with the procharger and I have seen almost 13mph gain (not willing to push it for long just yet) and no black transom or engine faultering???? Just curious...
Did you block off your oil bypass valve? Mine runs 65-75 psi when cold around 45-55 psi cruising and drops to 25-30 psi at idle after a run. You need to get a oil temp and fuel pressure gauge asap.
If you set this up right and monitor it you'll love it.

Quick Reply: Procharger, oil pressure and water temp?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.