HP500 Rebuild >

HP500 Rebuild

Notices

HP500 Rebuild

Old 07-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP500 Rebuild

My 1997 HP500 has reached a point where it must be totally rebuilt. Water reversion has exacted its toll after 10 years of good performance. Any tips regarding the rebuild of this engine? Assuming the competency of a local machine shop and mechanic, what are the major areas of concern for the rebuild?

At this point, I am assuming the need for an overbore, replacement pistons, valve job, valves, springs and possible cam change.

I am located a bit out of the mainstream south Florida performance marine hotbed and it may be a bit of a stretch to assume too much from my marina mechanic or the local machine shop. The marina does have a dozen or so Fountains, Cigarettes, Scarabs, Formulas as well as my Active Thunder in the racks, although center console fishing rigs with outboards seem to be the most prevalent style of boat.

Would I be better off having the engine removed and taking it(myself) to a south Florida performance shop or dealing with the marina for a turnkey job?

The marina mechanic talks a good game indicating that he has had maintenance and rebuild experience with small and big block Merc products including 330's, 370's,400's,420's, 450's and 500EFI's. He is an older guy who has been at this marina for a number of years and he seems to have a good reputation.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a pro. I went the marina, small builder route and was never happy! Finally, Tommy @ chief straightened my world out. I can't say enough about him except that I would ship my motors from Cincinnati to him for a rebuild. Yes, he's expensive but you truly get what you pay for.

There are a lot of less expensive builders that are very good. Just ask here or those you know about their experiences and do your homework on the builder before you spend $'s.

Just my .02.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Palmcity,
I can certainly handle your rebuild, so give me a shout if I can help you in any way or if you just have a question. Thanks, Eddie.