Volvo 5.0 GXI Fuel Problem >

Volvo 5.0 GXI Fuel Problem

Notices

Volvo 5.0 GXI Fuel Problem

Old 07-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo 5.0 GXI Fuel Problem

Hello, I have an 02 Four winns w/5.0 GXI's Fuel Injected. I know its not High Performance, my wife made me get rid of my Baja ang get a Cruiser . Well anyway I replaced the fuel filters and noticed that the surfaces were painted and flaking off, so I cleaned them off. I thought I did a good job but when I took the boat out I heard a whining sound coming from one of the engines (the fuel pump appears to be clogged). My question is... Is there any way to clean the fuel pump to clear the obstruction? What is the quickest way to fix this? Also what is the valve for that is on the low side of the fuel pump? I did not run the engine past idle for long once I heard the problem so I do not think I damaged the pump. Any help would be great. A new one is close to 800 bucks.
Thanks ,
Howie

Last edited by Bajalome; 07-17-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Are you saying that the internal surfaces of the filter were painted and flaking ?

That sounds a little strange to me ..
Old 07-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not the filter but the surface the filter seals to . I am not the only one who has seen this or had this happen. Seems odd to me to. I have always been a merc guy so this is all new to me. I just don't know how to flush the pumps out. I have a low pressure side and a high pressure side that feeds the injectors. the only reason i replaced the filters was because of gas leaking around the seals. Thats whwn I discovered the painted gasket plate.
Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Just something else to worry about ....

I'm running in a new 5.7Gi right now and I do recall that the owner's manual advises of the whining sound the pump will make when run dry.

It does sound like the pump will need to be cleaned unless you've got a blockage at the pickup for that engine ..