Tuning experts

Notices

Tuning experts

Old 07-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning experts

I've got a BBF with new exhaust,water pump,impeller,new cylinder heads, new hoses, all of them. Good water flow. I've also got steam,and lots of it under a load,both sides. The only thing I can see the problem is my ignition timing. It's omc spitfire and is factory set at 10* btdc.When I rev to 3000 rpm I only see 25* including the base. The steam is like a frieght train getting on plane and cruise. Mellows out to almost nothing at idle. It won't steam on the hose, only with a load. Would late timing, ie. not enough advance cause this? Because the fire is in the manifold and not in the cylinder where it should be at 3000? I'll listen to all ideas. Thanks
Old 07-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

steam isn't necessarily a problem, but if you are running an identical setup that did not steam previously, then you need to examine it.

I honestly don't know whether you have some mechanical advance in your dist or not. If you do, then I would certainly check to see that it is allowing full range. You haven't mentioned whether this is a rebuild of what was a properly operating installation or not.

Late timing can cause heat problems, but less than 6 degrees late won't fill your manifolds full of magma...

I would check total advance @ 4000. I would check mechanical advance. I would check to see if your flow restrictors are in place or stuck at the water neck. Etc.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:07 PM
Registered
VIP Member

I cracked a cylinder head running it this way. It started steaming even before all the repairs, before doing the new heads. It doesn't have a dist. just the omc module with coils. 25* is the most it advances above 3000 rpm. The themostat housing is new, themostat and no restictors. Water flow is pretty good out the pipes and water is luke warm. 130* water temp at the sender. Just alot of steam. Alot getting on plane. I've notice this when the cylinder head was cracked and thought that was the problem,but it's still there now.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

Make sure you aren't leaking at the riser/manifold junction. Might want to pressure test and flow test your risers.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Registered
VIP Member

new emi thunders,ss risers, no water at that connection. I ordered a Dui distributor. Gonna get rid of the spitfire system. Now I really can screw things up. Should be an improvement, and solve the advance issues. The steam just bothers me alittle, but I know everything is working and new. The wife doesn't like it because I kept telling her steam was bad news. I'm gonna have to retrain her thinking, more beer needed.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Just got off the phone with emi and they state that the thunder series exhaust with short ss risers always steam. Does yours?