Notices

Gimble ring

Old 08-09-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gimble ring

I hate asking but does anyone have a couple used gimbles laying around they would let go cheap. They need to be in good shape and for Bravo 1's. I have alot of slop in mine and can't afford new ones right now or even to have JR Marine rebuild mine at the time. I wish I did but this is how things go I guess. I would really like to figure out something before the LOTO shootout so we can go. Thank you very much to anyone who may be able to help.
Brandon
[email protected]
Old 08-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that this won't sit well with alot of the people here, but this is what I did with mine. After disassembling the gimbal ring, I shimmed the swivel pin with some brass sheet stock. That allowed me to tighten everything up as normal. It lasted for the last 2 1/2 years that way. I am back into it right now because I developed some vertical play where the swivel pin sits in the gimbal ring. I am going to repair that with a stainless ring that I am going to epoxy into the gimbal ring. I might also get rid of the shim while I am in there and just epoxy and file the swivel pin bore to shape. I have external hydraulic steering so the swivel pin tightness is not as important to me. Obviously, I have more time than money and this is how I can afford to keep boating. Whenever it doesn't work out well, I just do it over a different way. Good luck,

Rene
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

there were a couple on ebay for low prices not too long ago....
Old 08-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Registered

I actually thought about something like that but don't really know much about them. I had to get on here to find out the gimble ring is what is bad. I work for a marina but when I talked to the owner about storing my boat there he gave me a price and then told me I CANNOT work on my boat there though! So, I have it stored at Frankie and Louies now and will already have to pay someone to gome help me work on it there as I cannot do it myself. I do fiberglass work and don't have alot of knowledge of the drives. Thank you.
Brandon
Old 08-09-2007, 08:40 PM
Registered

I did a search on ebay yesterday and only came up w/ one for an alpha.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brandon, You are going to invest in a couple of days to swap them over. It doesn't seem likely you will find used ones worthy of the time it takes to change them. You would be better off in the end to save and do it right rather then spending on labor twice. Good luck
Jim
Old 08-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

You can heliarc(sp?) aluminum in the gimbal ring opening and machine it to original size. Works like a charm!
Old 08-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
You can heliarc(sp?) aluminum in the gimbal ring opening and machine it to original size. Works like a charm!
More info on this please. What all does it take to do this? Somethiing that a prop repair shop could possibly do since they weld aluminum all the time? Thank you.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try IMCO they have some used ones lying arond I heard
Old 08-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Look at Wowchad's avatar. That is the Ron Bender fix. Worked great. My ring was so bad Ron could not repair it. I bought a brand new one from Mercruiser for $700 included all bushings. My dealer matched internet prices, it normally lists for over $900. I would not mess around, buy one or have Ron fix it. It is a four hour job and why do it twice.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=156512

Last edited by 1BIGJIM; 08-10-2007 at 06:55 AM.

Quick Reply: Gimble ring

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.