Notices

New problem

Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New problem

As most of you have read, I had some back and fourth play in my steering. I was told it was a worn out gimble ring. Well I just got the second one pullled and when I put the "pin" throught the square hole it is tight, especially when I tighted the ubolt. What else could my problem be.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Your slop is coming from the steering "tiller" that connects to the top of the upper pin. It should be square and it gets worn out, sometimes you can tighten it but it doesn't last.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The tiller system always has some slop in it. Tighten everything up within reason and make sure that the cable isn't the source. I never liked the amount of slop that was in mine and eventually went with full hydraulic steering.

Rene
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered

Is there supposed to be a pastic or rubber bushing or seal that goes around the round part of the pin between the two square parts. There looked like there was one on one of the pins but not the other. (twin bravo's)
Old 08-14-2007, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a seal that goes in the housing that keeps the WATER OUT of the boat it rides on that round part.
I've found most of the slop comes from the pin to the ring. Steel to aluminum part, The tiller is steel to steel and seems to hold up better.
Jim
Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered

so no seals at all on the pin?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:44 PM
Registered

seal # 26-41607 1 , seals to round surface on pin. It gets loctited into housing below the bearing. If one fell out it must be bad. With out seal water can get in boat.
Jim
Old 08-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Registered

http://www.raymondbaldwin.com/bell-gimble.pdf look on page 4-b-6, I do not see one on there that showns a seal. Not sure I know what you are talking about. Does it go around the top round part or the round part in the middle of the pin? It looks like there was a seal or something on the round section on the middle of the pin, but only on one and not the other. Sorry for so many questions. Thank you very much mobilemercman, you are very helpful.
Brandon
Old 08-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Registered

look at Gimble housing component page look at item #4 that is the seal. I rides on the round part between the two square parts of the pin. It should not come out with pin it should stay in place in housing. The side that was loose or missing must have had a bad bearing in it . Did your kit include the bearings and seals as shown in the above mention page?
Jim
Old 08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Registered

I just have it tore down right now. I haven't bought a kit yet. Can you tell me what all comes in the kit and about how much to expect to pay for it. Thank you.

Quick Reply: New problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.